Artila Eye

No no no...

Turn them into wands!!!

Discipline wands kick bootay. And, I might add, discipline wands do tons of damage to Creators and Spawners, as well as serviles and other creations.

Not so hot against humans and other shapers though.

Stick, gemstone, saltweed, and artilla eye. PAIN!!!

I agree on gold.

Even just the mines in the demo. Crystals galore. I was ridiculously rich, with nothing in particular to spend it on.

It seems that after the veritable poverty of G1 and G2, also with shopkeepers running out of gold, G3 has then gone completely overboard the other way. Shopkeepers no longer have finite gold supplies, and gold itself, is very very common.

I prefer scrounging for gold, and taking multiple loot trips than having more gold than i know what to do with, personally =/

The real spending comes at higher levels; creations, spells and abilities will really drain your gold. One moment you have 20,000 gold, and three purchases later it's down to 5,000.

I like the way the gold works in GF3. With loot everywhere, and shopkeepers with unlimited funds, I could actually buy quality equipment and high-level creations.

Well indeed unless you buy massive numbers of spores and crystals and such you'll have more money than you have a use for on the first island, you then can use it all up on the second island with training in creations and in combat skills, so you should finish the demo broke. And I personally found shopkeepers running out of money very annoying so you'd keep having to haul your loot to a different shopkeeper when you exhausted one.

Quote:
Originally written by kuc:
I prefer scrounging for gold, and taking multiple loot trips than having more gold than i know what to do with, personally =/
Kuc, Azul hit the nail on the head here.

You dont have much to spend it on for the first two islands, late in the game though you can easily go from 25+k gold to 0 in a few minutes getting the high end spells.

Meh, i suppose its just preference. I have always been an Exile/Avernum person, where you tend to have enough gold for everything. Then you'd have to scroung, save and explore extra dungeons to save enough for the hermit trainers which would train skills like Magery or Blademaster.

I havent got to the main part of the game yet, but even the 2nd island was easy to buy through. I'm happy to be proven wrong though.

The main advantage of my last Guardian's obstinate purism was that I didn't have to worry about scrounging money to pay those 'trainers', who are really just foul, tempting fiends that want to forge your genes! So I could finally stop picking up every bolt of cloth and suit of quicksilver plate I found, and be free!

On the other hand, I had to take several trips back and forth to the monastery island just to haul in all the stuff I needed for my assault on the Caves. I left the place with burnt-out Inferno Wands scattered like cigarette butts in an airport smoking area.

I always had enough gold because I only bought what I knew I needed. I've taken to only using Fire and Magic Shaping, so that saves on some unnecessary spending. I also only buy the spells I like to use, which is about half of them.

I love canisters and the Drakon's blessings, so a purist ending is out of the question for me. I felt really rich until I got to the Isle of Spears and the Monastery. Yeah, you're rich in the beginning, but in the beginning everything is relatively inexpensive.

Taewell - Call me Dolphin, Azul is just the current name.

Playing as a shaper the first time through I found money to be an issue. It costs a lot of money to get, for example, Lady Anjil to train you in shaping skills and there wasn't that much money to be had.

Playing as an agent the second time around I found that money was not an issue. Basically I had fewer things to spend my money on. But I had also learned what worked and what didn't in the game. When you go through the first time you are apt to try everything and this will bleed your cash.

At any rate, in the latter game the basic unit of account is around 10,000 gold and you don't find that kind of cash lying around.

Quote:
Originally written by poolwin2001:
Dont you guys think that this topic had gone way off topic??
Way off topic? No. There is a clear thread that runs from your original post all the way to the end. Indeed, we're not even talking six degrees of separation here - two at most.

Way off-topic would be discussing whether a thread is on topic or not. Oh, ... never mind.

Quote:
Originally written by Schrodinger:
Near the end of the game, there's 50 K in alterations you can purchase on the Isle of Spears and the Monastery of Tears. That's always been enough to blow off the rest of my gold.
This is true, but it is made more difficult to do when you realize that your $$ caps out at 30k. Why does it cap out? There's no good reason... unless when your shaper gets there s/he's thinking, "well, 30k is about enough, I feel rich. I'll sell all this junk for free now."

Quote:
Originally written by kuc:
Meh, i suppose its just preference. I have always been an Exile/Avernum person, where you tend to have enough gold for everything. Then you'd have to scroung, save and explore extra dungeons to save enough for the hermit trainers which would train skills like Magery or Blademaster.
You could NEVER have too much gold in exile/avernum, as you could always buy knowledge brews.

Quote:
Originally written by mok
This is true, but it is made more difficult to do when you realize that your $$ caps out at 30k. Why does it cap out? There's no good reason... unless when your shaper gets there s/he's thinking, "well, 30k is about enough, I feel rich. I'll sell all this junk for free now."
It could be worse, in Avernum it capped at 15k, which seemed especially inadequate in Avernum 3, where that would buy you 2 points of magery or parry, which would be quite a trip back, and several times I would notice I had just sold a bunch of stuff over the limit without noticing.

• 4 weeks later...