Disfunctional Item Abilities

Callie

I've been testing everything as I place it by actually playing the incomplete scenario. I placed these two items, but their abilities aren't taking effect. Item 457 isn't cursed when I equip it, it doesn't affect my stats either. Same thing with item 458; no increased health points, and no luck penalty.

Code:
 begindefineitem 457;	import = 113;                    //Cursed Boots	it_name = "Bloodstained Boots";	it_full_name = "Stifling Boots";	it_bonus = 5;                    //Absorbs 5 extra hit points of damage	it_encumbrance = 1;	it_icon_adjust = 145;            //Tint red, darken, and swap red and blue	it_magic = 0;	it_cursed = 1;	it_ability_1 = 64;               //Affects all statistics	it_ability_str_1 = -1;           //Decreases every statistic by one	it_ability_2 = 10;               //Affects defense	it_ability_str_2 = -2;           //Decreases defense by two	it_value = 50;	//Don't ask about the name :/begindefineitem 458;	import = 31;                     //Iron Studded Armor	it_name = "Red Studded Armor";	it_full_name = "Ephod of Libel";	it_bonus = 7;	it_icon_adjust = 144;            //Tint red and darken	it_ability_1 = 4;                //Affects Endurance	it_ability_str_1 = 3;            //+3 to endurance	it_ability_2 = 19;               //Affects luck	it_ability_str_2 = -2;           //Decreased luck by two	it_magic = 1;	it_value = 850; 
If it helps any, I'm using Mac OS 9.2.2 and running Blades of Avernum version 1.1 with the standard editor.

It looks like you're seeing a couple of effects here: First, negative strengths may not work; they should really, but i don't remember whether Jeff actually allowed them or not. Also, secondary statistic can't be affected by items; these include health, macig capacity, etc. (This solves the tricky problem that results from the following scenario: Suppose Hp boosting items are allowed. I put on an item the give +10 Hp, then get knocked down the 5 Hp. Then, for whatever reason, I de-equip the item. Should I die? Should I not be allowed to take it off?) As to the item not being curesed, I don't know, as that one should be very simple, so I can't see what went wrong.

Quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:
You could also just add a point to Dread Curse instead of subtracting a skill point.
Do points of Dread Curse added by items actually work, though? Remember, Dread Curse does nothing in itself, but its secondary effect is to decrease every other stat by one. The trouble is that stat points that come from items don't have secondary effects. (Which is why Endurance-boosting items don't increase your HP, Intelligence-boosting items don't increase your spell energy or Potion Making skill, and so on.)

I placed the boots on all varieties of places, even having it dropped by a hostile monster, but they still aren't cursed. I removed the "it_magic = 0" with no success.

The other item seems to work now. I haven't figured out why the boots aren't working, but thanks regardless.

I imported the boots into another scenario and they were properly cursed. The moment I switched these with the boots the PC was previously wearing, the curse took effect. I used the Character Editor to give them directly to a PC, they were not found in a container.

I also tested the armor and it worked too.