Avernum 4 remake Kickstarter launches!

Jawaj

New areas and filling in vacant areas!

Interested in the stretch goal of a novel dungeon challenge area to test how powerful you really are in the game. Som of the old ones were truly nasty challenges. Having to figure out how to win before overwhelmed by summoned monsters.

Edit - I got an idea for a quest, but I have to dig out my old computer to look at the game and see if it fits with the other quests. After 19 years, the game is al little fuzzy on details.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

So, Avernum 4, 5 and 6, plus Geneforge 3, 4 and 5? No Nethergate, then?

I'm pretty sure that Jeff has said a couple of times over the years that he has no desire to revisit the Nethergate world...so no.

But those six will keep him busy for about a decade, we'll still have lots of adventures ahead 

Jeff has said he would like to finish Queen's Wish trilogy, but it seems that he will postpone it while doing more profitable remakes. With a successful Kickstarter we might get it, even if it sin't a profitable game.

I would like to see Nethergate again since it  after Geneforge 4. Almost as old.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the recent update the second stretch goal was reached - an arena area in the Abyss. One that you can keep going and going until you finally go one fight too far (with rewards at each level).

(I'm assuming that it will be replacing the current one in Spire. That would seem to be the logical place for it)

Onto stretch goal #3

When I made Avernum: Escape From the Pit, I made a new skill tree system. I think it was decent, but it wasn't super-popular. Worse, it didn't respect what about the old games made them popular. This respect is very important when doing a remaster.

So Avernum 4: Greed and Glory will use the Avernum 4 skill system. However, I will take from the Avernum 1-3 Trait systems, which provided a ton of cool ways to customize your characters.

The Battle Discipline system will remain. Also, we will be rebalancing to make melee and archer characters stronger and more necessary in relation to priests and mages.

Interesting. Wasn't the skill system of Avernum 4 similar to the one Geneforge 3? In which way was it better?

I think Jeff is overstating things quite a bit there.  The AEFTP skill tree system actually was very well received.  But his last highly popular game using that system was 6 or 7 years ago, so right now his vocal customers are used to other things, particularly Geneforge's system.

But yeah, A4's was extremely similar to G3's.  The main addition was just the hidden skills, which players have always liked (though the hidden skills did almost zero to expand gameplay in any way, they were really just a adjoining closet of slight variations on crunch hidden behind a curtain).

• 2 weeks later...