How many risen shades?

In the haunted area of Stinking Marsh, I expected six shades, one at a time. That's the way I remember it from the OG release anyway. The hint book even says they stop when you kill the sixth one. They are coming at me two or three at a time, and you do not get a break to save. They get two or three attacks apiece to my one, so if you try to run away, they catch up with you pretty fast. I lost count but I am a LONG WAY past six. Does anyone know how many there are, and what level they get up to? I play on Normal.

Yeah, that wasn't gonna work with my solo agent. I leveled up, bought another point of Wrack, and found a pacification wand. Then I was able to slow them down enough to take them out. What was killing me was the nine hits to my one or two. Or none if I got stunned. But thanks for the advice. I may try it next time through. It also helped to understand that I could retreat just enough to keep the next shade from popping up before I dealt with the minions from the one before. I sometimes forget about that tactic.

20 hours ago, alhoon said:

The way I dealt with those shades on normal was by putting all my 4 creations and Xander close to where they manifest, and blast them the moment they appear. They didn't have the chance to call minions.  

The same thing happened to me too, I was hitting the shade hard with my Drakon and other creations that it never got the chance to summon aid