the seasons un avernum

According to Silver Harloe's excellent page, here are the months in order (although Rememberance isn't necessarily the first month):

Rememberance

Suncome

Radiane

Empire

Leafloss  

Icefall

Frost

Evermoon

With eight months, there are probably two per season. If seasons don't change in the middle of a month, then I'd say Icefall and Frost are the obvious winter months, Evermoon and Rememberance therefore have to be spring, Suncome and Radiane are summer, and Empire and Leafloss are fall.

—Alorael, who will add that Leafloss is the only month without any holidays. The fall must be boring in Avernum.

Quote:
Originally written by Droozler:
Alorael, who will add that Leafloss is the only month without any holidays. The fall must be boring in Avernum.
Yeah, you'd think that with a primarily agricultural economy there'd be some harvest-time style holidays. Although, that wouldn't mean much to an adventurer, I suppose.

If I were a farmer growing mushrooms and mutant trees underground, I'd be too depressed for holidays too.

—Alorael, who supposes that Avernum at least guarantees good weather and even (and perpetual) growing seasons. On the downside, your plowlizards wants to eat you and instead of crows you have rabid giant bats, cave slimes, and other horrors of the deep. Such is life.

Quote:
Originally written by Alorael:
According to Silver Harloe's excellent page, here are the months in order (although Rememberance isn't necessarily the first month):

Rememberance
Suncome
Radiane
Empire
Leafloss  
Icefall
Frost
Evermoon

With eight months, there are probably two per season. If seasons don't change in the middle of a month, then I'd say Icefall and Frost are the obvious winter months, Evermoon and Rememberance therefore have to be spring, Suncome and Radiane are summer, and Empire and Leafloss are fall.

—Alorael, who will add that Leafloss is the only month without any holidays. The fall must be boring in Avernum.
Remembrance makes sense as the first even more if it's the spring; that matches up with the Roman calendar and many others which begin on the vernal equinox.

Posting a single word response like that is almost always spam. In this case, because it added nothing to the discussion, it was definitely spam. Please refrain from such posting.

—Alorael, who doubts Avernum is much like the poles at all. Extreme northern and southern latitudes get extreme lengths of daylight and night. Avernum is always in a sort of dim but lit state.

Ice Drake, no need to post such a short response... you don't have to post whatever comes into your head. Still, it's encouraging to see that you're learning.

You've got to wonder how the Triad managed to get so much of the caves lit... and if they had that much power, why not try to light the farms better (and grow something other than mushrooms)?

Also, why doesn't Avernum's messed up day/night cycle (or lack thereof) interfere with the Avernites more?

The mushrooms were magically altered to be able to sustain the humans living in Avernum. I believe Patrick was involved in that.

—Alorael, who also is sure that there's some edible cave tree, cave shrub, or cave annual. Not all the cave plants can be producers of low quality wood alone.

I believe it's mentioned at some point that the glowing fungus that lights the caves wasn't created by the mages, but existed back when the first exiles were sent down (possibly created by Vahnatai, although this is never explicitly stated). At least, this was the case in the Exile series; not sure if it was changed for Avernum.

Were the crop fungi also premade? I definitely recall some references to the powerful mages having a hand in their creation from A1.

—Alorael, who should load an old save and go bother Patrick himself. He is almost positive that Patrick is the one who talks about all that. Either him or some other old coot in the Tower of Magi. Or maybe Rone. Actually, Avernum is full of coots.

You know, Erika takes credit for making the fungus glow, but someone else (I forget who) says that the fungus was already glowing before they got there. Erika may just be an egomaniac, or possibly she did some work at the Tower of Magi that enhanced the glowing effect — the message upon entering the Tower's botanical room indicates that the mages were responsible for significant crop modification.

I think I have all this written down somewhere.

EDIT: Ah. Specifically, Erika in A1 says, "These passages wouldn't even be lit if I hadn't created the fungi that emit light, and I don't even get credit! And don't get me started on the mushrooms!" She adds, "The mushrooms down here? That are edible, nourishing, and grow with only the slightest light? I created them!"

However, Solberg says, "It was [Erika] that created the strain of mushrooms that grow quickly and are so nourishing, and other special plants as well," and adds, "Erika created the trees that grow in stone, so we could have a meager supply of wood. She summoned down several plants from above, and changed them so they'd grow down here. The one thing she didn't make was the glowing fungus on the cave ceilings. It's amazing, magical stuff, and was already here when the Empire found these caves."

I can understand why Erika brags about being responsible for the survival of all humans in Avernum. She's that kind of person. What I don't understand is why she would brag about the plants she didn't make when the ones she did make are every bit as impressive. Unless she views lies as preferable to truth, which is a stretch even for Erika, her boast makes no sense at all.

—Alorael, who would be more impressed with nutritious fungus than glowing fungus anyway. Wizards have a history of making things glow in Exile/Avernum. Light and Long Light, glowstones, flashy runes, and the like are all illuminated. Wizards usually don't make things that people eat. (Priests do, though. Thank the gods for manna!)

erika seems genuine enough in A3, yet sometimes I wonder whether she DID encourage the vahnatai... I mean, rentar could have died in the end in erika's hand... yet she does not. Erika sometimes charges on the adventurers without provocation(in the endgame and though she gets killed, even that is an illusion, i think. (sorry kelandon, if you feel this note is unneccesary but i had to say this coz i cannot help suspecting erika) wink