What should I do in the early game?

I had tried Geneforge a long time ago and only got a few hours in.  I forget why I stopped, I vaguely remembered liking the game, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the remake one day.

So I'm giving it a try, and because I'm a very silly person, I have decided to play as an Agent on Torment difficulty, because playing as a magic knight that doesn't have to babysit summoned critters appeals to me, and I want to at least attempt the hardest difficulty before I give up and go easier.  I'm also trying to use as few of the gene canisters as possible, because I vaguely remember that there's something bad about using too many of them (I haven't found very many to begin with, though).

So far, there has been lots of dying - I don't mind that so much, but it feels like I've hit a brick wall in terms of the areas I can explore.  So I've been trying to figure out if there's a better way to build my character early on - in my first run, I tried focusing on leadership and mechanics, but I felt super weak against the rogue creations and had trouble doing anything.  I tried a second character in which I dumped all my points into melee attack (I'd rather do magic, but it's too weak early on), and she's a bit more survivable, but I'm not sure what quests I can do without leadership, and I'm still not very good at killing things yet.

Is there something else I should be spending my limited exp points on instead?

To hit chance is based on character level and reduced by some armor types. So early in the game an agent will do more damage using sword and javelin or baton rather than spells. This gives you time to build up your attack skills.

In the early game, the first few zones, Leadership above 4 isn't helpful. Mechanics of 2 buy living tools from Ham the Alchemist that will let you open the door in Coale's Trading Post to get more living tools and there was a door in the Crumbling Dock's northeast to get some icy crystals that you can use for area attacks,

Talk to NPCs in Vakkiri to get quests and easy experience to get most of a level.

1 minute ago, Randomizer said:

To hit chance is based on character level and reduced by some armor types. So early in the game an agent will do more damage using sword and javelin or baton rather than spells. This gives you time to build up your attack skills.

In the early game, the first few zones, Leadership above 4 isn't helpful. Mechanics of 2 buy living tools from Ham the Alchemist that will let you open the door in Coale's Trading Post to get more living tools and there was a door in the Crumbling Dock's northeast to get some icy crystals that you can use for area attacks,

Talk to NPCs in Vakkiri to get quests and easy experience to get most of a level.

Yeh, that was basically what I did on my first character, but she still only got to around level 3, if I remember correctly.  I did eventually make it to the other settlement (I forget the name), with Ellrah, but I felt really silly after doing so after I found chainmail armor just lying around (after I had spent a big sum of money buying it from Vakkiri >_<).  I might go back to that character, but reload from the point before I bought the armor.  Are there any other significant items I should know about just lying around?

In addition, with GF1M you pretty much 'have' to use the canisters to get pretty much anywhere in the game.  You do sort of remember correctly though, in later chapters of GF, canister use can/will eventually adversely affect you.

As an Agent (especially a solo with no creations) you will be relying on magic spells fairly soon. so put a couple of points into melee if you want that option, none into missile (even though you're probably using javelins right now instead of fire - that will change).  Start bumping up the assorted magic skills.  A point or two in endurance isn't a bad thing either.

Limited exploring/quest grinding right outside Vakkiri should give you a couple levels of experience to get you deeper into the island.  Hit & run is a good tactic in the beginning, especially in Watchhill with the wandering thaads.  Kill one or two & run back to Vakkiri to heal/recharge & head back.  No day counter/incentive to get things done quickly so bounce back & forth.

As an agent, leadership will get you experience without lots of fighting, so get that to 4-5 relatively early.

Welcome back to the Spiderweb universe...

1 minute ago, Typical_Name said:

Are there any other significant items I should know about just lying around?

Other than consumables (such as living tools (buy every one you come across - early xp for opening things is pretty good) or pods, maybe a couple of crystals), I pretty much 'never' bought anything from a merchant.  In general, what you find laying around will get you through that part of the game until you find something better

3 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

In addition, with GF1M you pretty much 'have' to use the canisters to get pretty much anywhere in the game.  You do sort of remember correctly though, in later chapters of GF, canister use can/will eventually adversely affect you.

As an Agent (especially a solo with no creations) you will be relying on magic spells fairly soon. so put a couple of points into melee if you want that option, none into missile (even though you're probably using javelins right now instead of fire - that will change).  Start bumping up the assorted magic skills.  A point or two in endurance isn't a bad thing either.

Limited exploring/quest grinding right outside Vakkiri should give you a couple levels of experience to get you deeper into the island.  Hit & run is a good tactic in the beginning, especially in Watchhill with the wandering thaads.  Kill one or two & run back to Vakkiri to heal/recharge & head back.  No day counter/incentive to get things done quickly so bounce back & forth.

As an agent, leadership will get you experience without lots of fighting, so get that to 4-5 relatively early.

Welcome back to the Spiderweb universe...

I never played the other Geneforge games, but I was under the impression that since it was a series, I'd be importing the character from each previous game and my decisions in the earlier games would affect the later ones.  Is that not the case?

What you describe is basically what I was doing to clear out areas, but I'm only getting around 10-14 exp per kill, and leveling up takes well over a thousand exp, and I struggle in any fight against more than one creature.  Grinding doesn't seem like a viable way of leveling, unless I'm just doing something wrong?

Also, if I talk to an NPC without the needed leadership level to do something, and then come back later after I level up my leadership, do I get the option to do whatever it was that required the leadership, or is the option gone?  (ie, if I try to negotiate with the bandits, go back to the Blade person, fail the leadership check, then later level up and come back, can I try to persuade her again)

Queen's Wish is the only series where you should be able to import a character from a previous game.

Using leadership only works if you hen['t used a dialogue option related to the choice that will give it..  For instance talking to Khobar about looking for a boat or buying the War Bleesing canister from Dreet instead of waiting to using leadership to get it for free.

20 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

but I was under the impression that since it was a series, I'd be importing the character from each previous game and my decisions in the earlier games would affect the later ones.  Is that not the case?

No, each game is self contained within the same universe/story, but the protagonist/what choices were made do not move on from chapter to chapter.  Jeff said he is going to try to do that with his Queen's Wish trilogy (currently only the first is done), but not the other games.

22 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

What you describe is basically what I was doing to clear out areas, but I'm only getting around 10-14 exp per kill, and leveling up takes well over a thousand exp, and I struggle in any fight against more than one creature.  Grinding doesn't seem like a viable way of leveling, unless I'm just doing something wrong?

You get big chunks of xp (100-200 for example) by doing some of the simple quests in & around Vakkiri (such as getting the nice steel knife back).  Talk to any named servile, many of them have dumb errands for you to do.

23 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

Also, if I talk to an NPC without the needed leadership level to do something, and then come back later after I level up my leadership, do I get the option to do whatever it was that required the leadership, or is the option gone?  (ie, if I try to negotiate with the bandits, go back to the Blade person, fail the leadership check, then later level up and come back, can I try to persuade her again)

I don't know, I never tried that.  I doubt it if you already got the xp for say taking care of the bandits one way.  You cleared the quest so you can't cash in on a different way of doing things.

6 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

No, each game is self contained within the same universe/story, but the protagonist/what choices were made do not move on from chapter to chapter.  Jeff said he is going to try to do that with his Queen's Wish trilogy (currently only the first is done), but not the other games.

You get big chunks of xp (100-200 for example) by doing some of the simple quests in & around Vakkiri (such as getting the nice steel knife back).  Talk to any named servile, many of them have dumb errands for you to do.

I don't know, I never tried that.  I doubt it if you already got the xp for say taking care of the bandits one way.  You cleared the quest so you can't cash in on a different way of doing things.

Oh, darn, I was looking forward to the continuity of playing one character across several games.  Oh wells.

Hrrm, is there a list of the quests somewhere, to make sure I don't miss any?  So far I've found "kill the bandits", "help the alchemist open his box", "find the stolen steel knife", and "find the Taker spy" - I know who the spy is, but haven't turned them in in case I end up siding with the Takers.

I meant for doing the same path of the quest, not doing it multiple ways - I wouldn't be able to take on the bandits in a fight (I tried it and the toll person one-shot me).  Like, if I fail the dialogue option to resolve it peacefully, can I level up and try the dialogue option again, or am I locked into doing the quest the violent way (assuming I don't reload)?

3 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

Oh, darn, I was looking forward to the continuity of playing one character across several games.  Oh wells.

The problem with that is that pretty much every game (not just SW but 'every' RPG out there) has you starting off as essentially a nobody, growing in power over time to become a near god.  Starting off the game 'that' powerful really limits what the designer can do (to say nothing about all the different builds that people have made & trying to balance the new game for 'x' different characters rather than 1-4).  I have a feeling, no knowledge of, but a feeling that further chapters in the QW saga 'will' incorporate what went before, but that's more an opening set up of "this went on before over here...but we're sending you over 'there' to continue your adventures..." the political background will reflect what happened earlier but the new story will be a brand new traditionalish game.

8 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

Like, if I fail the dialogue option to resolve it peacefully, can I level up and try the dialogue option again, or am I locked into doing the quest the violent way (assuming I don't reload)?

If, using the bandit example, you just paid for passage earlier, you 'should' (he says nervously...) be able to get better options once your leadership gets bumped up a point or three.  Just don't report back to who gave you the quest/don't answer about things being done & try to get the dialog that started the whole process again (qucksave before just in case...)

9 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

Hrrm, is there a list of the quests somewhere, to make sure I don't miss any?

"Strategy Central" at the top of every game forum is a GREAT resource for those games.  Lists like what you want, where all the canisters are, hints & tricks, etc.  Major, major, major spoilers though so if that's an issue, beware (of course you're looking for a complete list of quests so that probably isn't...)

1 minute ago, TriRodent said:

The problem with that is that pretty much every game (not just SW but 'every' RPG out there) has you starting off as essentially a nobody, growing in power over time to become a near god.  Starting off the game 'that' powerful really limits what the designer can do (to say nothing about all the different builds that people have made & trying to balance the new game for 'x' different characters rather than 1-4).  I have a feeling, no knowledge of, but a feeling that further chapters in the QW saga 'will' incorporate what went before, but that's more an opening set up of "this went on before over here...but we're sending you over 'there' to continue your adventures..." the political background will reflect what happened earlier but the new story will be a brand new traditionalish game.

If, using the bandit example, you just paid for passage earlier, you 'should' (he says nervously...) be able to get better options once your leadership gets bumped up a point or three.  Just don't report back to who gave you the quest/don't answer about things being done & try to get the dialog that started the whole process again (qucksave before just in case...)

"Strategy Central" at the top of every game forum is a GREAT resource for those games.  Lists like what you want, where all the canisters are, hints & tricks, etc.  Major, major, major spoilers though so if that's an issue, beware (of course you're looking for a complete list of quests so that probably isn't...)

Yeah, I saw that post, but I didn't want to get spoilers - I just wanted kind of a "list of quests to make sure I didn't miss anything before leaving," and I know that if I open that, I'll get "here is exactly where the disc one nuke is and what dialogue options you should pick to minmax."

8 minutes ago, Typical_Name said:

Yeah, I saw that post, but I didn't want to get spoilers - I just wanted kind of a "list of quests to make sure I didn't miss anything before leaving,"

Reasonable.

Non spoiler (ish) quest givers in Vakkiri

Learned Pinner - has 1

Leader Khobar - has 5 but some are continuations after doing previous ones

Brodus Blade  - has 1 (the bandits we've been discussing)

Sencia - has 1

Inerny - has 1

Coale - has 1 but it's broken down into 2 distinct sections each with a reward

Ham - has 1

Nabb - has 1

Some you can do right away, some won't be until halfway through the game

Just now, TriRodent said:

Reasonable.

Non spoiler (ish) quest givers in Vakkiri

Learned Pinner - has 1

Leader Khobar - has 5 but some are continuations after doing previous ones

Brodus Blade  - has 1 (the bandits we've been discussing)

Sencia - has 1

Inerny - has 1

Coale - has 1 but it's broken down into 2 distinct sections each with a reward

Ham - has 1

Nabb - has 1

Some you can do right away, some won't be until halfway through the game

Ah, okej, that's good to know.

Also, if I turn in Naab, does that impact my relationship with the Takers?  He DID say that his offer still stands regardless of what happens to him... (eyes quest exp greedily)

1 minute ago, Typical_Name said:

Also, if I turn in Naab, does that impact my relationship with the Takers?  He DID say that his offer still stands regardless of what happens to him... (eyes quest exp greedily)

I don't know.  I generally play as an Agent & don't think I have ever turned in anyone who shares my avocation for lurking in the shadows (even one who's running around with psychos like Nabb...).  I'd think (think) you'd be ok turning him in as, he essentially said you could, it's early in the game & you really don't know anything about who he represents yet & so could reasonably be expected to go ahead & turn him in even if you do later have Taker sympathies.  At worst (again, don't 'know') you may get chastised once you get to Kazg & talk to people there.

I am not touching any faction specific quest until I have seen all factions. Also, since I can go unaligned, I am not sure I will do any faction quests. If I go by what the Obeyer boss told me, the quests have probably more to do with sabotaging the other factions than helping the faction in question. Why would I go kill Serviles? They fight over their view on the Shapers that discarded them like used lemons. 

Thousands of Serviles, abandoned to die off without much thought about them. (Don't correct me if I am wrong, I am early game. Not even spoken to Takers yet). "Our Creations are our Children" my butt. People treat their pets better. I don't know many people that relocated and abandoned their dog or cat in the house to starve. 

1 hour ago, alhoon said:

I am not touching any faction specific quest until I have seen all factions. Also, since I can go unaligned, I am not sure I will do any faction quests. If I go by what the Obeyer boss told me, the quests have probably more to do with sabotaging the other factions than helping the faction in question. Why would I go kill Serviles? They fight over their view on the Shapers that discarded them like used lemons. 

Thousands of Serviles, abandoned to die off without much thought about them. (Don't correct me if I am wrong, I am early game. Not even spoken to Takers yet). "Our Creations are our Children" my butt. People treat their pets better. I don't know many people that relocated and abandoned their dog or cat in the house to starve. 

I suspect that the Shapers did not leave voluntarily, given the talk of invasions and conspiracies, but I haven't gotten anywhere near far enough to confirm yet.

The Shapers conquered the whole continent. They are undefeatable... (till Geneforge 3, heh, heh, heh... Glory to the Rebellion!) 

Even in the tiny chance they had to evacuate, why not take the Serviles with them? Not possible? Why not return to save their "children" and instead bar the island? 

Last but not least, why not tell the poor Serviles "Sorry, you do the best you can do. You are free from Shaper control until we return, Stop copying how much detergent we used on our robes and here's how to grow your living tools." 

Edited by alhoon

I expect the Shapers took those serviles they cared about with them (those with valuable skills or maybe some they felt some attachment towards) and then just left because they were on a schedule. If they gave the remaining Serviles and Servant Minds any thought, I suspect they thought they would all just die.

Well, maybe some of the more optimistic Shapers thought they'd get permission to come back and find the Servant Minds still alive and doing their job.

If anything, I feel the fate of the Servant Minds is even more tragic than that of the Serviles. The Serviles at least had a chance to make their own lives. But the Minds? They're immensey powerful, but immobile. Deliberately crippled so they cannot become a threat to the Shapers. Loyal unto death. And left to slowly starve over centuries as the Shapers just abandoned them.

4 hours ago, alhoon said:

The Shapers are horrible. And they are at their "best" in this game because you don't see them doing horrible things. This is the "least bad" I have seen from the Shapers in the geneforge games I've played (2-5). 

I strongly disagree. The shapers at Sucia island were at their most greedy power hungry, neglectful and irresponsible. A lot of the game does a point of showing you that the new era of shapers after Sucia are a lot more careful, restrained and principled. 

Like from a very basic standpoint modern shapers would be very unlikely to abandon serviles if they could help it due to their sense of responsibility over their creations.

The Shapers are horrible.

And yet I usually end up siding with them, because the alternatives tend to be worse.

(Also, in Geneforge 1-3 you play a Shaper and so your character was likely indoctrinated by them to believe shapers are always right. 4 probably involves the opposite, a character who must have had some motivation to join the Rebellion. 5 gives you a truly blank slate character.)

Not in Geneforge 1 of course. The Shapers are long gone and better for everyone if they stay that way. But when it comes to the Rebellion... the Drakons, the Unbound, the worm-plagues...

No matter how morally bankrupt the way the Shapers treat their creations is, theirs is a distant kind of tyranny where the majority of the population is left alone to live their lives how they please. People are oppressed in that they can't learn Shaping and that if they are suspected of trying they will be instantly condemned or executed, but that affects a small percentage of people. For almost everybody else, NOT having the continent be devoured by war is much preferred.

Best choice would be if nobody has shaping and creations are free. But when I tried to side with the Trakyovites in G4, it turned out their plan was "lets make sure the war goes on a really long time and is utterly horrible and kills almost everyone, so people will finally realise that shaping is bad." Yeah, no.

Edited by Iguana-on-a-stick

GF5 Trakovites are the worst of the worst. Way worse than the "let's make sure the war goes on". 

As for the "for the common people the Shapers present stability and stability is better than anarchy" you have a point but ... you can't make omelette without breaking eggs. A brief war to get rid of the Shaper tyranny is preferable than centuries of suffering. 

And that goes for the common people only. 

For the Serviles, the drayks, the drakons the rebellion was better than the stability of the Shapers. 

Thus... 

LONG LIVE THE REBELLION!!!! 

But I see what you mean. In GF3 it was hard, really hard, to join the rebels. And since I started as a Shaper with the Rebels killing my friends, the choice was actually: 

"Buttholes A that I started as and I have a seat on the table" or "Buttholes B that killed my friends" So... yeah. It was not easy joining the rebels. 

I made my mind that my character did it for the power, not out of any moral obligation. Rebels = canisters + "faster rise in the new era". So... I guess my character in GF3 is an opportunistic butthole that should have never been a Shaper. 

Edited by alhoon

If I believed the rebels could win without triggering mutually assured destruction, I would agree. But they do not have enough power, and most of the humans who join them are... as you put it, opportunistic buttholes who think they can use it to gain power. So to win the war they need to shape themselves with canisters and the geneforges, with all the madness that ensues, and to use the weapons of mass destruction, like the self-replicating worm swarms and the unbound. And once unleashed, it becomes rather difficult to contain those.

And once the shapers are pressed hard enough, they start breaking their own taboos and do the same things.

As for the the Drakons... they are certainly are better off rebelling, but they do not want to free creations. They want to rule over them instead of the Shapers. So those aren't exactly savoury allies.

That leaves the Drayks and Serviles as the most sympathetic parties in the whole mess. But they can't exactly win the rebellion on their own either.

Of course, as I recall it the Geneforge 5 story implies that the use of Shaping eventually did wipe out civilisation on Terrestia. So yeah, not a lot of happy endings here.

3 hours ago, Iguana-on-a-stick said:

Of course, as I recall it the Geneforge 5 story implies that the use of Shaping eventually did wipe out civilisation on Terrestia. So yeah, not a lot of happy endings here.

I honestly don't remember that at all and it sounds strange. Perhaps someone said it could lead to that? 

As for the the Drakons... they are certainly are better off rebelling, but they do not want to free creations. They want to rule over them instead of the Shapers. So those aren't exactly savoury allies.

Agree and everyone knows that. They are not hiding it and the cryodrayks rebelled even from GF4.
Thus, Greta attacks them in the end and overthrows the drakons. (I didn't have an ending where Greta died). 

Also, while Greta says she doesn't plan to change one kind of Shaper with another and the drakons are far from benign to serviles... they are significantly better than the Shapers. They won't help the serviles develop, but they don't use them as slave labor. They just use them as... cheap labor. There's a difference between a 15th century peasant and a slave. Not that either has a good life, but it is better to not be a slave. 

Fair enough on the Drakons. They're definitely the preferred choice for the Serviles.

Question is what they will do to the non-shaper humans though.

As for Terrestia's fate: as I recall the framing story of G5 involved a future people exploring the ruins of a lost civilisation and finding records of your deeds. But I may be misremembering, it's been a few years since I played.

@Typical_Name Given that you're attempting to play solo + Torment there are many areas where stealth is preferrable over combat, especially considering that you've already pumped points into mechanics and leadership. I recently tried taking this to the max and completed a torment pacifist game with only Firebolt + Heal canisters, so I'd imagine sneaking around + allowing yourself to kill a few hostiles here and there would work out fine. Obviously such an approach requires lots of reloads - you have to rely on enemies pathing in the right direction / lucky stealth timing.

Tacking onto the plot discussion the Trakovite endings are definitely unsatisfactory. But I suppose that's the reality of the situation -- damned if you Shape, damned if you don't. A plausible plotline would be to become absurdly strong through the use of the Geneforge and whatnot, go on a quest to eradicate all traces of Shaping, and let the knowledge die with you. Infinitely many ways that could go wrong though.

Edited by kuo

As for Terrestia's fate: as I recall the framing story of G5 involved a future people exploring the ruins of a lost civilisation and finding records of your deeds.

😮

Ehh... no, not that I remember. The opening is "this has been happening for the past 10 years" and the ending is ... the faction ending of "And the story of the Great Rebellion ends" 

I don't recall anything about life ending in any of the endings, not even Taygen's or Trakovite ending. 

2 hours ago, kuo said:

A plausible plotline would be to become absurdly strong through the use of the Geneforge and whatnot, go on a quest to eradicate all traces of Shaping, and let the knowledge die with you. Infinitely many ways that could go wrong though.

The Monarch did that... 

Edited by alhoon

1 minute ago, Mechalibur said:

I don't believe I've ever seen "evade" pop up against AoE attacks. It could also be since you leveled up, enemies have lower base accuracy against you, so they miss more often.

Yeah, it doesn't say "Evade", but they do "Miss" more often, it feels like.  And I was the same level between tries, this was me reloading a bit earlier to dump points into Evasion instead of continuing to buff up Mechanics because I was struggling to take out the spawners in East Pentil.  The cryoras' spread attacks seemed to hit me way less.  Alternatively, it could be that it was a fairly inaccurate attack to begin with, and either the AI is using it more since the single-target attacks aren't as good (because evasion) or I'm just seeing more of them since I'm surviving longer.

Also, how does the math on Evasion and such work?  Theoretically, if I buff it up high enough (probably not possible without cheats), would I have a 100% evade chance, or do the enemies have their own stat that counters it?

Also, during my travels yesterday, while clearing out some Vlish in an area, I encountered an obscenely powerful fyrora-like creature (I think it was called something else).  It was level 9, had a dialogue popup to announce its existence, and began combat hasted.  I somehow managed to beat it anyways with some judicious use of mental magic and save scumming... and then nothing happened.  I went back to its lair to see what loot it was guarding and found basically nothing.  The amount of exp I got from defeating this seemingly unstoppable killing machine wasn't impressive either.

Did I miss something?  Is this some sort of penalty encounter I was supposed to avoid?

4 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

Down at the very bottom of the map?  Yeah that's a quest monster.  Killing it's a good thing.

Now you just need to figure out who wanted it dead... {evil smile}

Oh, neat!  I hope it wasn't Pool, the brave but very stupid Pentilian scout who died after several reload attempts to save his life, because he kept trying to punch cryoras as I lured them to the guards.

12 hours ago, Typical_Name said:

Also, during my travels yesterday, while clearing out some Vlish in an area, I encountered an obscenely powerful fyrora-like creature (I think it was called something else).  It was level 9, had a dialogue popup to announce its existence, and began combat hasted.  I somehow managed to beat it anyways with some judicious use of mental magic and save scumming... and then nothing happened.  I went back to its lair to see what loot it was guarding and found basically nothing.  The amount of exp I got from defeating this seemingly unstoppable killing machine wasn't impressive either.

Did I miss something?  Is this some sort of penalty encounter I was supposed to avoid?

Similar to that. Outside of Pentil, I found a dungeon. In there there were 4-5 powerful Vlish that I had to lure away one at a time to defeat and then run away to heal. 

In the end I found... nothing of importance. A Geneforge-like pool that simply poisoned me. Having to have a tough fight in order to die by acid is mean. 

Would totally do it again. 

But I still want to know whether I missed something.