Anyone have the final versions of some famous scenarios?

Nephil Thief

At the Gallows - last I checked, the version I have archived has a rather amusing bug where an important item is right on the floor in front of the wizard you're supposed to give it to.

Falling Stars - the archived version doesn't have the completed hall of contributors (in the starting town) or the Denmark quest.

The Shadow of the Stranger - archived version doesn't let you turn off tree climbing, final version did.

Just to help with searching, Nephil Thief, could you please post the specific version numbers of your copies of these three scenarios? This makes it easier to compare versions, since people can tell at a glance whether they have a different version to you.

The quickest way to find the version number is through a scenario’s documentation. Alternatively, you can find it through BoE itself. Just make sure the scenario is visible in your scenario folder (put a space or two at the front of its name if necessary), load up a party outside of a scenario, and flick through the ‘Custom Scenario’ list until you find the one you’re looking for. The version number is right at the top.

Posted (edited)

@The Almighty Doer of Stuff- oh, then maybe there never was a fix for the item placement thing. I might have misremembered v1.0.2 existing.

@Ess-Eschasand anyone else - Falling Stars for me is v1.0.1, and Shadow of the Stranger is v1.2.0. Thanks y'all!

@Celtic Minstrel- yeah, the versions on Spidweb's own downloads page are the same as those I have.

Edited by Nephil Thief

The only other place I can think of is Truesite4Blades, but I'm pretty sure the OpenBoE archive is directly derived from that, so there's probably no point checking. (It is currently archived at OpenBoE.com though, if you want to take a look. I think it's untouched from the archive Jewels sent me save for updating broken internal links, though I might've missed some.)

Posted (edited)

@Celtic MinstrelI know the archived Lyceum had the final version of Falling Stars, but AFAIK it disappeared when Truesite went down, and the Wayback Machine didn't catch most of the HTML let alone the zip files. The version in the scenario archive was always earlier than the one from the archived Lyceum. If there's still an archive of the Lyceum floating around though, it might still have the final version. (And if anyone sends that my way, I'll update the one in my own archive mirror.)

Edit: yes, the Lyceum is still archived!

http://truesite.openboe.com/SWArchive/Geocities/blyceum/index.html

The links did not get modified so it takes some manual changing of URLs to navigate, but it looks like everything should still be there. Thank you profoundly!

Edit 2: grabbed all the final version Alcritas scenarios, thanks. This command worked:

wget -r -np -l 1 -A zip http://truesite.openboe.com/SWArchive/Geocities/alcritas/

Going to put those in my Google Drive archive momentarily.

Edit 3: or not. That grabbed a bunch of Javascript files? Weird. Anyway grabbing them manually worked ok.

Edited by Nephil Thief

@The Almighty Doer of StuffI think Drizzt's page might also be in the Truesite archive?

And I've added the files to my archive FYI. Directory structure now looks like

game/
  BoE-1.2.0a-win32.exe
scenarios/
  alcritas-final-versions/
    [Alcritas scenarios]
  truesite-archive/
    [Scenarios from the Truesite archive]

Link is in my signature.

I fixed a bunch of Lyceum/Alcritas-related links, but the archive of Drizzt's website is quite broken. It looks like it was downloaded through a browser using the "save whole web page" feature, because there are a bunch of "this_web_page_files" folders which oftentimes contain duplicate content. There are also a whole bunch of missing images, and the zip files seem to be absent too.