New Years Resolutions

Ircher

You mean other than thoroughly exploring GF1M?

No not really.  If I feel the need to change something in my life I try to do it right then rather than some assorted date off in the future. Need to lose weight?  Taking smaller portions/fewer sweets over the next couple of weeks will do more than pigging out now because "Come the first of the year, 'then' I'll be good..."

Shrug, works for me. YMMV

I'm the same way, if something needs to be done, do it now, not later.  I never understood resolutions anyway.  If you are going to wait till the end or the beginning of the year, it probably is not worth doing and you most likely wont do it or keep up with it anyway.

And since someone mentioned sweets and dieting...

Sugar Coated | TVO Docs - YouTube

Edit:  Not sure how to make a YouTube video show up as a video and not a link.  Sorry.

Edited by WolfSpider

I want to get my jogging-in-place habit back. At one point I was up to 1000 steps 2x/day.

I want to get back down below 270 pounds, about 50 pounds loss. That's roughly a pound a week, which could be manageable.

My friends tell me I'm too easy to bait, so I want to be more mindful of that. My best friend says I'm never going to get the one thing I keep demanding, because it's too easy to rile me up just by denying me it and people think it's funny.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff
unclear pronoun corrected

2 hours ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

I want to get my jogging-in-place habit back. At one point I was up to 1000 steps 2x/day.

I want to get back down below 270 pounds, about 50 pounds loss. That's roughly a pound a week, which could be manageable.

Can you get out & stroll around the block a time or three instead (I realize this may be a problem in the winter)?  Jogging while carrying that much weight is 'really' rough on your knees/ankles/hips.  You may not notice it now, but later in life it can really add up to painful problems.  Any exercise is far better than none, but until you (& I) can drop a lot of weight, low impact is far better long term.

I'm roughly your weight (having been far higher due to medical problems a decade ago), 1#/week is a good & reasonable goal (with exercise & eating a little less than 'normal').  It's sustainable & unlike the 'diet of the month' you aren't likely to gain it all back in a hurry when you quit/get tired of the DotM.  The big problem is that it takes months to notice any real gains (or losses as the case may be).

Good luck, it isn't easy but it can be done.

I use SparkPeople.com to make sure I'm eating and exercising within my calorie goals, and I'm starting that back up today. Jogging is hard on my joints, yeah, but I find when I try to walk I can't keep up a pace and quickly end up doing more of a slow mosey than a walk, which isn't any good for exercise. I do have a hallway in my apartment building which I use when I want to walk on cold or rainy days, but it feels like a waste of time if I'm not focusing on it enough to move quickly consistently. It's frustrating.

1 hour ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

when I try to walk I can't keep up a pace and quickly end up doing more of a slow mosey than a walk, which isn't any good for exercise

(Sincerely not trying to be argumentative here) It may not be getting your heart rate up for the cardio benefit, but you burn essentially the same calories either power walking or moseying along (it's the distance that counts there and for dropping the weight it's the calories burned that matters).  Is your apartment layout such that you could do a big loop down one hall, up the stairs to another floor, down that floor's hallway & then back down the stairs (or if there are enough floors, up several flights & then back down the elevator)?  Doing the stairs should get a bit of cardio going.  Is sticking an exercise bike in your apartment a possibility?  That would give you the cardio (& calories burned) without the severe stress on your joints (still some but not as bad).  I hate to keep harping on your joints but mine are so bad now (from excesses of various sorts earlier in life) that even walking 1-200 yards at a time is a bit challenging.  Take care of them please...

Yes, I could do that although I'd have to prop open a door on one end. I've been told you aren't burning calories unless your heart rate is up. I'm glad that's not true. Thanks! I like to put on music in my headphones when I go for a walk, aiming to listen to either one long album or two short albums usually.

But I don't know how I'd input slow walking into my exercise tracker. If I exercise too much without counting it, I may eat too little to compensate and potentially ending up binging. SparkPeople only has walking at X speed as input, and no slower than 2mph.

EDIT: For clarity, I gradually degress to half-steps rather than actual strides, to the point that I'm nearly shuffling. Hopefully I'll get less sluggish when my thyroid medicine is adjusted. I have hyperthyroidism, which I'm told causes fatigue and sluggishness.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

29 minutes ago, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

SparkPeople only has walking at X speed as input, and no slower than 2mph.

You should be fine, most people walk at 3-4mph on average.  2mph is 'really' slow (I could probably go a mile in 30 min even with my frequent rests/breaks).  Do you have a high school nearby that you could go do four laps around their track at your mosey pace & time it?  That should give you a good baseline & things will improve as you walk more/the weight comes off. Do this at a 'normal' walking pace (not stepping out or slowing down to what you think you might exercise at).  Perhaps some sort of pedometer would help too (or an app for your phone).

Getting your thyroid right should help a bunch also, both with energy levels & weight loss (MrsTR has thyroid issues so I've seen the changes over the years when it needs adjusting).

Again, good luck.