Avernum 3 questions

Playing through Avernum 3 (the remake, obviously). As usual, I have a bunch of misc questions - thought I might make a thread instead of spamming in different relevant topics.

1. A number of weapons / armor seem to be worse in every way than the other weapons / armor, despite being worth more for example, Ash Bow and Crude Bow, or Bronze Bracers and Iron Gauntlets. Am I missing something?

2. Was there any benefit whatsoever to agreeing to let the bandit chief (first quest, south of Fort Emergence) go? Feel free to use spoilers.

3. Keeping in mind that I welcome spoilers - what's a good early game weapon / armor to get blessed at Portal Fortress?

1. Price and best aren't related. Price is based on weapon class, material, and bonuses.

2. Letting anyone go means you miss out on loot that they would drop and some experience. It really depends upon whether you could win that fight at that time because quest experience is based on your current party level versus a level that Jeff thinks the quest could be done at.

3. I hold off on armor until at least steel material. Weapons aren't as useful until near the end when you have your final weapons. There is a limit of 23 items that can get blessed if you find all the locations.

How do I see my x,y position in the world? I was sure there was a way to see exactly where you are as far as the game engine is concerned, but I can't seem to google it.

Also, how do I screencap the game on steam without the spell list popping up to block the screen?

Edited by Xander77

6 hours ago, Xander77 said:

... Also, how do I screencap the game on steam without the spell list popping up to block the screen?

There are many screen cap utilities available for Windows, some of them free. You can usually select your own key combo to trigger the capture. In Mac OS, the system-level screen cap options will work fine.

The easiest way is probably just to change the screenshot key in Steam itself. Bring up the Steam overlay with Shift-Tab during play, click the "Settings" option at the bottom of the screen and then select the In-Game tab to customize the Steam screenshot key for that game.

9 hours ago, Puksis said:

Out of curiosity, can you give the stats of the weapons you compared?

Bronze Bracers. Value 40, 4 lbs, armor 6%, -5% to hit, 2% to evade.

Iron Gauntlets. Value 50. 4 lbs, armor 6%, -5% to hit. No 2% to evade, despite being more expensive.

Just for comparison, Iron Bracers have the same stats as above, except value 150, armor 8%, -10% to hit. So +2% to armor and -5% to hit apparently means the item is worth 300% more.

Took a courier job - delivering grain from Krizsan to Delan in a single day. I'm pretty sure it didn't take me a day to get there, but every time I get to Delan, the job is no longer in my journal and I have no dialog options with the innkeeper.

Edit - "single day" means "you have until the next day starts" rather than "yo have 24 hours". Amazingly stupid.

Edited by Xander77

There's no specific cutoff point like in some of the Geneforge games where extra points in a skill suddenly become less useful. The main thing constraining you from putting a point in your primary weapon skill every level is the number of other things you want to invest in.

2 hours ago, Xander77 said:

So if you kill the Troglo king without ever talking to him, the game just doesn't recognize what happened and you're stuck? The mayor thinks I'm still on a mission to talk to the king.

Well the death noise he makes doesn't count as a reply. The mayor wants it in writing. :)

Some soldiers in the Squiggus area attacked me (due to having a Nephil in the party) on sight... and now the entire town is hostile. Any way to fix that, or are Squiggus and Lennus now a lost cause?

Lost cause it is. They hates ya forever, I've been told. Same thing happened to me and permanently ruined my cloth/herb courier career. Stupid bigot countryside militia. They don't know what they're missing out there.

What does Dark Thoughts do, if anything?

Occasional message about you feeling weird and paranoid. Nothing more to my knowledge

Edited by Losrandir

I'm sorry, explain please. How exactly does an additional 1% multiplicative effect even works, particularly when you can legitimately stack it without abusing bugs?

Seems like a fairly obvious urban legend (or whatever the terms for these is when it concerns video games) explanation "oh hell, it probably adds 1% to a random effect. Oh, it clearly doesn't? Multiplies, then".

Jeff does extra effects two different ways, but the most common is like armor instead of adding up the different effects against a damage type or effect, he multiplies them:

effect = 1 - (1-0.01)(1-0.01)... for each 1% effect.

armor % is 1 -  (1-0.4)(1-.2) for a 40% and then 20% armor pieces effect. So instead of adding to 60% armor your get 40% off and then 20% off from the next piece.

The effects are usually worse because Jeff checks for each 1% reduction to see whether it works each time for each total effect for each item.

With such small numbers, the difference between additive and multiplicative stacking isn't actually very significant until you get to huge numbers of stacks. If it actually works that way, 50 stacks of it should give you almost a 40% resistance, for example, which should be noticeable.

If it has any effect at all, it's more likely that the game simply does a yes/no check for whether you have any stacks of it at all, and applies a single 1% resistance effect if you do.

I just traveled to the monastery of madness. Ruined the altar there, got the shield, got ambushed by monks on the way out. No climactic duel, no dialog with anyone in the monastery, everyone in Gerbra are still brainwashed and I can't even provoke the greeter into a fight. Am I missing anything?

Also, is there a way to peacefully talk to the Troglos once the barrier is down? The message when you kill their king ("there will never be peace between Troglos and humans now") kinda implies there should be more.

You can't access Sulfras' treasure even after killing her?

Edited by Xander77

1 minute ago, Lilith said:

A more peaceful resolution to the troglodyte quest is possible, but not if you killed their king.

Ok, could you be a bit more concrete? In case my post didn't make it clear, I managed to destroy the barrier between the Troglos and Giants (after killing the shaman on behalf of the king). Is there anything else I can do?

Nah, not really. Once the barrier's down you're done with the troglos, it's just a matter of how exactly you get there.

In general, expect breadth rather than depth from Avernum 3. Not many of the individual quest lines are super long or involved, especially compared to the main quests in the first two games.

That is amazingly dumb. I'm all for choices having consequences, but they should strive to be coherent and internally consistent consequences that make sense within the game world.

No one else being able to lift the curse is just arbitrary (particularly the Tower of Magi priestess that needs to save her powers for something more important than the biggest emergency Avernum is currently facing)

Also, freaking Judith decides to attack me because I robbed the Aname treasure, really?

Haha, you can get it Gale without ever discovering the tunnel. Talk to one of the blackmailing citizens through the gate, deny them repeatedly, then run around the walls until you're captured as a spy. I guess that's a way to bypass whatever rep/plague check allows you to use the tunnel.