A new member has joined your party

orian34

I finally decided to sign in after a few years of enjoying these great games.
I first discovered SW games with A:EftP , was kinda intrigued and in the end, was baffled by how amazing a game could be without all the fancy tech. I made the mistake of playing normal difficulty so I didn't fully enjoy it, and that's why now, I always start with torment. 

I finished Avadon 2 : The Corruption recently and I will continue playing those amazing games over the time(with more coming in the patient future).

So, after this brief presentation, I wanted to say that a new member has joined your party.

You'll likely see me posting from time to time.

Thanks for reading and have a good day.

Try Geneforge, Orian34. It's my preferred series. All of Spiderweb Software's games are very well crafted, but Geneforge is very unique both story and game play wise.

Also, you'll get to participate in debates on whether it's Geneforge prounced Jean Forge 'cause Genes.... Or the obviously superior and more mystical sounding option, Geneforge like Jeneh-forge, as in Genetics.

1 hour ago, Trenton. said:

Also, you'll get to participate in debates on whether it's Geneforge prounced Jean Forge 'cause Genes.... Or the obviously superior and more mystical sounding option, Geneforge like Jeneh-forge, as in Genetics.

... are there debates about that? Pretty sure the official name (i.e., what Jeff says) is the former, with two syllables.

Just now, Kelandon said:

... are there debates about that? Pretty sure the official name (i.e., what Jeff says) is the former, with two syllables.

There's definitely debates with me around. I'm in the latter camp. I also annoy all my friends by pronouncing it "Jif" instead of "g-if", though, so what do I know :p Calamity Refuge has definitely had more than one debate over this.

1) Aside from what Jeff says, there are linguistic reasons why most people say "gene" and not "ge-neh" when they read the title.  Trenton correctly points out that "ge-neh" is the way we pronounce "genetic" -- which, of course, has the same base word as "gene".  In English, the way we pronounce vowels changes depending on the context within a word.  "Gene" has a long e sound because it's one vowel-consonant-e syllable.  "Genetic" has three syllables, gen/et/ic; the first syllable has a short e sound because it's a closed syllable.

If "Geneforge" were its own word, unrelated to "gene" and "forge", it too would have three syllables and be pronounced the way Trenton suggests: gen/ef/orge.  However, because Geneforge is, quite blatantly, a compound word, we use the syllabification of the original words, which means it's two syllables, gene/forge.  You can see the same thing at work in words like scapegoat, firefly, limestone, household, etc.

2) Although there's (clearly) far more contention over the way to pronounce GIF -- not least because acronyms are sometimes allowed to flout language conventions -- the language agrees with you there, Trenton: English normally has a soft g sound when the g is followed by an e, i, or y.  However, because there are some prominent exceptions (especially, I think, "gift"), some people end up pronouncing GIF as if it's an old Anglo-Saxon word instead.  This one is a lot more ambiguous, but people who say the soft g is "definitely wrong" are definitely wrong about at least the "definitely."

• 2 weeks later...