Necro-Posting for Justice?

Bushwhacker2k

I was going back through my old forum threads and it occurred to me that some don't have a clear answer and people seem to want people to search for things rather than asking new questions (at least that's why I assume everyone keeps yelling at me everywhere I go).

So, should I answer an old forum thread to give it a completeness for future searching- OR should I make a new thread to avoid necro-posting?

It's recommended to make a new thread and link back to the old thread. Usually if it is old, over 6 months, then the original poster has an answer or is no longer interested.

Also some questions get asked repeatedly even if there is a similar thread with the correct answer. For example Avernum 4 and Lark's quest has at least 3 threads with an answer.

But if there's a question that really seems unresolved in that or any other thread, I'm all for a necro so the answer has a context. Then we can all learn something!

—Alorael, who does not consider the odd necro-post a terrible sin. It's bad if it's a steady stream that serves no purpose.

I mostly just want to say how much I approve of this thread title.

But I also want to say that I agree with Alo. Which I guess doesn't matter, because he runs this here establishment, but hey, why not.

Whether either of those are sufficient justifications for this meaningless post are up to you to judge.

I mostly just want to say how much I approve of this thread title.

But I also want to say that I agree with Alo. Which I guess doesn't matter, because he runs this here establishment, but hey, why not.

Whether either of those are sufficient justifications for this meaningless post are up to you to judge.

Of course it's justified. You've just generated three distinct quotes that you can use when quoting yourself in future posts.

Nonsense, Kel! This place is ruled benevolently by shared goodwill and common consent. If you ever even hint at disagreement I will make you rue the day you first registered.

—Alorael, who wants you to know that this dictatorship is benevolent by definition and that the definition is very strictly and violently prescriptivist.

• 1 month later...

Also some questions get asked repeatedly even if there is a similar thread with the correct answer. For example Avernum 4 and Lark's quest has at least 3 threads with an answer.

This is why posting is down in recent years; Every conceivable question has been answered. Even discussion of future politics and world crisis still yet to occur have already been given the mental once-over. All they need now is a wink and a head nod to send people down the path of omniscience.