So what is a Nephar exactly?

For all we know it's an environmental trigger. It does make evolutionary sense for the potential to have nepharim to stick around; they seem to be quite an asset to the tribes, and thus tribes with nepharim could outcompete those without, so even when the nepharim can't reproduce directly their relatives' genes get passed on more frequently.

—Alorael, who brings you evolutionary biology fan-speculation on behalf of vahnatai creationism. Otherwise yes, Lilith has it covered.

That's their biological definition. This specific biology affords them a social role of leadership, which may be attributed to their inclination to being better warriors. As a result of this tendency, they can be contrasted with the other upper echelon of Nephil warrior society, the magical class of priests, sorcerers, and necromancers. This suggests that in a sufficiently large Nephil society there is a culturally mandated dichotomy of physical strength and magical prowess as conflicting means for achieving power. I cannot recall any instances of the Nepharim being the chieftains in these larger societies, nor of Nepharim being able to cast magic. This may be more cultural than biological, however; due to their strength, they may not perceive any need or desire to be able to cast spells in combat.

I'm like 99% sure there were in fact some Nephar shamans in the Exile/Avernum games.

Also, whether Nephar tend to rise to leadership positions among Nephilim or not seems to vary across different Nephil tribes: one Nephar mentions the word "mule" being used as a slur against Nepharim, which suggests a degree of stigma attached to their condition, and there are also one or two cases of groups of Nepharim separating themselves (or being separated) from Nephilim and living in their own isolated communities.

I don't recall any such shamans, but it's been a long time since my last playthrough. I do, however, recall the segregated Nephar communities and the use of the word mule. With that in mind, I assent to the fact that there are historical, geographical, and cultural variations in the patters of relations between Nepharim and Nephilim. However, I'm going to hold to the general argument that the Nephar who tend to attain leadership of warrior states tend to do so due to their physical prowess, juxtaposed to the more magically-inclined groups which tend to be lead by Nephil. This especially seems to be the case with necromantic groups.

The one characterization that hasn't been mentioned so far: when the games do talk about the difference between nephilim and nepharim, they usually talk about the nepharim being stupider and meaner (in addition to bigger and sterile).

Goldenking, while it is no doubt true that martial and magical prowess correlate with positions of power, there's nothing to suggest power comes directly from them in nephil societies any more than it does in human societies. I think you're underestimating the relevance of political and ideological conflict. Though that might occasionally afford the opportunity for a canny nephar to rise to the top, that's rare. The nepharim simply do not have a "social role of leadership" -- usually, they're ostracized. That much is plain from the games.

• 3 weeks later...

Semi-related to the topic, does anyone remember if there was (in one of the Avernums, 1 through 3, I'd like to say...?) a nephar actually living in a human town? Like as an innkeeper or as a boatcrafter? That would imply that even if the nephar are in general stupider and meaner, some of them might actually be born a tad bit smarter than their other unfortunate nephar cousins.

I can't actually recall the nepharim being described as stupider and meaner. Stupid in particular seems odd; they have shamans, and nephar shamans have been stronger than nephil shamans as enemies.

—Alorael, who also doesn't remember any friendly nepharim. But he also doesn't remember them being described as total morons. Even if they're a little less bright than nephilim they could still be perfectly capable craftsmen and farmers who live with everyone else just fine.

Semi-related to the topic, does anyone remember if there was (in one of the Avernums, 1 through 3, I'd like to say...?) a nephar actually living in a human town? Like as an innkeeper or as a boatcrafter? That would imply that even if the nephar are in general stupider and meaner, some of them might actually be born a tad bit smarter than their other unfortunate nephar cousins.

not mentioned in walkthroughs (besides enemy to be killed).

I went back and looked. I seem to have constructed the stupider part myself, but meaner was definitely used repeatedly (albeit by humans and by nephilim).

In Exile 1, there is a Nepharim prisoner in the Giants' Castle ("Normally, I would be your foe. But here, we all work

against the common enemy.") Another line of dialogue:

"The Nepharim. It's weird. They're like Nephilim, have Nephilim mothers, but something makes some of them come out bigger, and meaner, and mostly sterile. A bunch of them have come here to live alone. I don't know why. It doesn't matter, anyway."

In Exile 2, there is in fact a nephar innkeeper/bartender in Almaria. However, this is unusual, as he was raised by the inn's previous (human) owner, and not by nephars.

"Mrrrrow! At last, ones to help us! My peoples are held by angry mule Nepharim in cave far to north and a little east. If you were freeing them, they could revolt and help you! Mrrr. Nepharim not all bad, but these should die."

"Nepharim like what you humans call mules, bigger than us and sterile. These mules hate us and enslave us. Mrrrr."

And Exile 3 gives us this gem of a classification in narrative text (in fact the sole appearance of Nepharim in that game's text):

"He's a Nepharim, member of a subbreed of the Nephilim, larger but sterile."

It was a long time since I played the first Avernum trilogy, and I only recently started playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit (pretty much only the major quests left) and I haven't played the second Avernum trilogy, but is there ever anything to indicate that Nepharim are ostracized by their Nephil tribes?

I believe the female Nepharim prisoner in the Giant Castle explains that the Nepharim in the Underground Fort gather there in honour of the great Nephar hero buried there with a piece of the Demonslayer, not because they're outcasts. And isn't there a Nepharim leading the Nephil occupying the fortified waypoint on the road to Fort Draco in Avernum 4?