History of game editor programs

spy-there

Realmz (the poor, obese cousin of Exile) has a scenario editor, named Divinity. I'm not sure whether Divinity predated BoE or not.

Before those two, there were quite a few other game-design programs available to the public. World Builder is a famous example for Mac, although it's more suited to making adventure games than RPGs.

The reason why I call this a dull topic is because there are very few people who knows the answer... if there are anyone. Perhaps if we asked a game history profesional (I belive there is such an occupation nowadays.) we could find an answer on that question.

EDIT: I made a couple of google searches. Found nothing. :|

EDIT II: I made even more google searches. I found out that the first scenario editor may have been for Warcraft but there are conflicts.

Google hits:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/warcraft-orcs-humans/trivia

http://www.download.com/Civilization-Call-to-Power-Update/3640-7491_4-7082974.html

Quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:
[QB]The reason why I call this a dull topic is because there are very few people who knows the answer... if there are anyone. Perhaps if we asked a game history profesional (I belive there is such an occupation nowadays.) we could find an answer on that question.

EDIT: I made a couple of google searches. Found nothing. :|

EDIT II: I made even more google searches. I found out that the first scenario editor may have been for Warcraft but there are conflicts.

Google hits:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/warcraft-orcs-humans/trivia
http://www.download.com/Civilization-Call-to-Power-Update/3640-7491_4-7082974.html [/QB ]
You seem to be unfamiliar with the purpose of discussion. A topic that can be answered swiftly is a dull topic, because there is no point in continuing to discuss on it.

Thank you all, my main question has been answered now. I wanted to know whether BoE was something revolutionary new. But since World Builder and War Craft came 1995 already with an editor it seems not.

You just helped me with my article I'm writing about BoA and Jeff, thanks again.

BTW, the nice, antique, black and white World Builder (it's freeware now) caused four computer crashes before I gave up laugh

Quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

Which was the first game coming with a game editor? BoE was out in January 2001, AFAIK. Do you know earlier games that permitted to create new scenarios?
There were lots in the 1980s that I can think of -
Adventure Construction Set certainly fits the RPG category and was copyrighted in 1984. As the question merely refers to "earlier games" though, you can make a case for Lode Runner or Ultimate Wizard, both of which may be older. I'm sure that there could well be earlier games that I'm unaware of. So I guess if we're going strictly by RPGs, we should look for ones earlier than '84.

Quote:
Mmmm, well you need a pretty old computer for that (Definitely System 6, but I think it can on some versions of System 7).
There was a freeware version of it on the net a few years ago. It's a version that Ray Dunakin had improved. I have it and it works - on OS 9, at least. It's just the sounds that don't work. It's not a bad tool at all.

Quote:
BoE was out in January 2001, AFAIK
Earlier. I seem to have forgotten when but about 1997-1999.