Is there a way to change the sound files for Avernum games?

Vexivero

I'm not a computer guy at all. My main thing is changing the sound of the outdoor fights when they start. I really like how it was in Avernum 1, and was hoping I could somehow extract it and transfer it over to other Avernum games. Like I said, I'm not a computer guy so I don't know if this can be done. I'm guessing it's lodged somewhere in those .dat files, but unsure as to whether one is able to actually open and pull it out of there.

—Vexivero, who still really enjoys the sound of the first Avernum's outdoor battle intro. It is definitely the best out of all the Avernums, in his opinion of course.

I haven't played Avernum 1 (*yet*), and I don't remember seeing a scripts folder when I played AV3. Anyway, from what I usually do in the Geneforge series, I open up the folder where the game is located. If you couldn't find it, right click your shortcut for the game>open file location.

It will open up to where the game was installed, go find the scripts folder, look for the sounds, your clue would be the file extensions, they're all .ogg, or .wav, either way, you should try listening to all of the sounds to find what sound to replace.

Example:

You find SND_A.ogg much better than SND_B.ogg, rename the SND_A.ogg to SND_B.ogg and replace the old SND_B.ogg with the new SND_B.ogg.

Not sure about this, but this can be applied to the Geneforge series. I even replaced my Geneforge 5 opening with Dragonforce's Through fire and the flames.

Just a tip, if you don't find a scripts folder, try not going to far tampering with the stuff.

-----

-Nightwatcher

You'd have to open up the Avernum 1 executable with a resource editor. Tyranicus would know how to do it, I'd imagine, since he extracted the Spidweb games' music snippets and put them on his website. Older Spidweb game sounds were built right into the executable rather than included as separate sound files. The Avernum 1 data folder contains only graphics files (not even all of them) and some encrypted data files.

in the newer games, i just replace the sound files with my own, they have to be in .ogg format though, use a converter.

I think you also need an empty ogg file if you want to remove sounds by replacing them with it, otherwise there was either lag or a crash, i don't remember.

• 3 months later...

Frankly, you'd be better off turning off A:EftP's sounds and putting on whatever music you actually want.

On a Mac, you right-click, choose "Show Package Contents," go into Resources, and find the set of ogg files. I don't know which is which, but if you can play ogg files, it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out.

On Windows, I assume it's similar.

On Windows, go to your A:EFTP directory by right-clicking the shortcut, then choosing the open file location. From there, look for the folder with the set of .ogg files, then look for a program to open them, look... I mean listen to the files you want to replace them with.

For example, you wanted to replace SND_123.ogg, with MetalMusic.mp3, you must convert MetalMusic.mp3 with a converter, then rename it to SND_123. Overwrite the original SND_123.ogg, or better, back it up at first.

For MAC, idk

-----

-Nightwatcher