Roots Released!

Lilith

tomsterthemonstr (7:07:56 PM): Um, I have an entirely stupid question.

tomsterthemonstr (7:09:03 PM): I see.

tomsterthemonstr (7:10:21 PM): So I take it the scenario is not about the history of the oppression of black people in the United States?

Thuryl (7:11:34 PM): No. No, it's not.

Darn. That would've been interesting. A scenario adaption of Roots.

Well, Nightfall was loosely based on a book, and that was pretty good for its time. On the other hand, Blade of the Jedi (although based on a movie, or rather, a series of movies, rather than a book) was really, really bad.

But no, this scenario isn't based on anything specific; just a selection of everything that's filtered through my mind.

I'm doing Redwall first. Salamandastron is later in the series and I like to do things in order. I've got the layout of the Abbey done for three levels of it anyway. It took me a while to figure out how to beat the stairway bug. At present I am working on some Frame Animation. I have dialogues written for all the characters for the first day of exploration. I'm no where near done but I think it's a good start. Maybe I'll give you a sneak preview when the Abbey's first day is complete. You are my motivation after all.

Yes, TM, Frame Animation just like The Creator explains it in his Animations utility. (I feel you have no confidence in my ability to create a descent scenario as a first try.) And the 'stairway bug' as in the tendency for a stairway node to immediately call a special in the town you are entering if it is on the same square as the stairway node used to get to the town.

Drizzt\'s page explains it.

What do you call it?

LD: I don't know if it's more the challenge or the book that I love. I tell you though, the most challenging part of it is trying to concentrate on it with all my kids. Three times my two year old has just closed the editor when I got up to do something else. Luckilly it's always been saved, but one of these times it won't be.

(and you've eaten my brain twice... cut it out!)

There was a small error in the savefile provided with the Windows version of Roots. A fixed version has been uploaded. If you already downloaded the previous version, the error can be fixed by using the Character Editor to remove Sleep Cloud from Dirac's spell list (or just by not casting Sleep Cloud).

Roots version 1.1 uploaded. If you downloaded the old version, you should probably redownload; this is a significant change. (The old version is 100% playable, though.) The change only affects a point near the end, so if you're not at the final battle yet you don't need to start over.