What have you been not reading recently?

Student of Trinity

Lately I have been not reading The Republic of Thieves. I bought it (as an e-book) but I haven't gotten around to opening it up.

I liked the previous books so much that now I can't start the third, especially after such a long wait. Either it will be so engrossing that I'll read it straight through instead of doing the work I need to do; or it will be disappointing.

Now that I think about this, I can probably say that for quite some time I have been not reading Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. I read the first one, and could see it had potential; people say the series really gets going a few books in, and I could see how that might be true. But again that meant that it would either suck away more time than I have, or be disappointing. Either way it seems better to wait.

In a somewhat different way, I have been not reading the Twilight saga. I really think I should read it, because my older daughter has been reading it, and amazingly many more books that sound awfully like it. I really ought to see what she's into. But then, well, sparkly vampires. Somehow I just can't help not turning the pages.

And then there are the timeless classics, the books you can keep not reading for years, even your whole life, and never lose disinterest. I've enjoyed not reading The Tale of Genji for about half my life now, I think. Every few years I re-not-read it, in the sense that I happily reaffirm my intention not to read it. It's just a huge thick tome that has all the things I most enjoy not reading. The Man Without Qualities isn't that perfect; some things I did like about it. So it took me a while to get out of it, but I did finally get around to not reading it. The thing was never even finished, after all.

Anyone else have books like this?

Even though I loved Robert Asprin's Myth Adventure series I still haven't finished the latest Myth-Quoted even after almost a year. Jody Lynn Nye's style is becoming apparent now that there is less material from Asprin.

Most of the other books just piled up because of work and life. Someday I will get to them.

In a somewhat different way, I have been not reading the Twilight saga. I really think I should read it, because my older daughter has been reading it, and amazingly many more books that sound awfully like it. I really ought to see what she's into. But then, well, sparkly vampires. Somehow I just can't help not turning the pages.

Don't. It's awful. Put off reading something else. Anything else.

Dikiyoba.

Started in Oracle DBA forum, which led to Project Management. Topics of management styles gave way to construction safety and quality awareness. This drew the attention of someone on the Italian forum for Project Management. This caught the attention of someone in Inda on their forum for Leadership. The cultural differences are fascinating, but even more striking are the similarities. In the course of following one of my connections from India, I suddenly am involved in deep discussions about leadership on the Harvard Business Review. Even there I keep running into people from halfway around the world.

Somewhere along the way I have become a night owl.