How do they already know?

How is it that whenever you complete a quest in some remote, dark, and dangerous dungeon and kill a foe that nobody else in Avernum could manage to kill, the questgiver always seems to know about it by the time you get back? I'm sorry, but who told you? Did you just happen to be strolling by Sss-thss castle as I kicked his ass, which NOBODY ELSE in you kingdom could manage to do?

This just occurred to me when I returned to tell the Scimitar I had found the exit to the surface, and they reply, "Yes, we already know." HOW? Did somebody follow my level 33 party into the final gauntlet and return faster than we did to spread the news? It makes it kind of anticlimactic when I return from a quest and my accomplishments aren't such a big deal because everyone already knows.

I did noticed that annoying pattern in all spiderwebs i have played, is like "yes we could have done it, but we spared you to do the dirty work". I never liked that dismissive way of treating the adventurers who did all the work the idiot quest givers could never do themselves, and even then replying to you as if it was not a big deal. :crazy:

The should be kissing our asses every step we took in all those games.

"magical scrying", and, or, sensing enemies´s energies, as they call it in game, could give them somewhat a point... not for those without extended magical powers, however. This makes me remember how ridiculous was the help of Rentar-Ihno at the end of Avernum 2. She´s supposely uber powered, as the useless Erika as well, though the only helps they bring are always ... well, you know already, stupid. "thanks for opening a door"....

Man, if you think that's bad, you should play the Geneforge series, and note how everyone in the world knows you've expressed an opinion in favor of the Shapers or Rebels/Takers the moment you express it.

you are the only one without telepathy there; yet, the only one capable to clean it´s mess..

but, seriously, we are making jokes about technology limitations. Or progammer lack of more expanded ideas...

Edited by Jerakeen
Profanity removal

• 2 weeks later...

I always did think it would make more sense if you were tasked with bringing back proof - Howthornes' crown, the ashes of Grah-hoth, a flower from the surface. I mean, it's one thing to say you killed Sss-thss, it's another to attatch his severed head to a stick and poke the king with it until he gives you your reward.

... What? I figured if my characters were "normal" they wouldn't have been exiled to begin with.

I always did think it would make more sense if you were tasked with bringing back proof - Howthornes' crown, the ashes of Grah-hoth, a flower from the surface. I mean, it's one thing to say you killed Sss-thss, it's another to attatch his severed head to a stick and poke the king with it until he gives you your reward.

... What? I figured if my characters were "normal" they wouldn't have been exiled to begin with.

It would be funny if some quest-giver said something like "well, we sent these other guys after the Slith King. They came back and said they killed him. Well, turns out they didn't and I gave them a huge reward. So here's your quest: slay the Slith King then I'll tell you were to look for the guys that scammed me--take whatever you find on their bodies".

It would be funny if some quest-giver said something like "well, we sent these other guys after the Slith King. They came back and said they killed him. Well, turns out they didn't and I gave them a huge reward. So here's your quest: slay the Slith King then I'll tell you were to look for the guys that scammed me--take whatever you find on their bodies".

Party has been sent few times to kill some monster where other parties have failed and been killed so your scenario wouldn't been out of question.