The future is amazing!

Dikiyoba

So I knew about rapid prototyping/3D printing, but I hadn't really realized the potential of it until I saw this: http://www.shapeways...oductBox-search. Between modern communications (for getting accurate information quickly), 3D modeling, and 3D printing, paleontology geeks can create their own dinosaur models with superior realism* and variety than much of what is commercially available, and make them available to the world. Just another step in making dinosaurs alive** to people.

...well, I thought it was cool.

What new(ish) technology, scientific discovery, or human innovations have inspired you, put you in awe, or just made you go "hey, that's kind of neat" recently?

---

*Of course, once 3D printing gets widespread enough, Sturgeon's Law will kick in and everything will be swamped with poorly designed plastic crud, but you've got to take the badwith the good.

**Well, except for birds, seeing as they are already alive***.

***Except for the dodo, passenger pigeon, and moas.

Dikiyoba apologizes, but Dikiyoba has been reading Discworld recently, which, aside from the format, has no bearing whatsoever on this post.

3D printing??? What is this, robotic origami???

*is confused*

*consults the vaunted oracle, Wikipedia*

I'm not the most technologically cutting-edge person, and perhaps for that reason I wasn't familiar with "3D printing." So..."3D printing" is a machine that assembles a plastic object according some kind of computer blueprint? And what Diki wishes to share is not so much 3D printing as a specific application thereof: the ability to create custom dinosaur models?

That is pretty cool.

I know they are kind of old news, but personally, I still find smartphones mindblowing. I don't have one, but my Mom got one not that long ago and it's astounding what that little thing can do.

And what Diki wishes to share is not so much 3D printing as a specific application thereof: the ability to create custom dinosaur models?

Well, making custom dinosaur models is a very small thing, really. It was just my aha! moment, the moment I realized exactly what 3D printing can do. It lets anyone create stuff that wouldn't otherwise be made (because it's personalized or too niche) and can produce as many copies of it as necessary. And that is pretty darn cool.

Dikiyoba.

It's great, but it's still just plastic, and I think it must be a pretty limited kind of plastic at that. You can make things, but not really strong things. It may already be enough to change the world in some ways, though. For instance, if the US bans large rifle magazines, enthusiasts can already download a plan and print working ones for themselves, without having to buy them from anyone.

And I've read recently about new developments in metallurgy, making amorphous metal, with no crystal structure. It surprised me when I first learned it, but solid metals are normally crystals, just like those edgy clear quartz things, only not clear, and not single giant crystals, either, but jumbles of little crystal chunks stuck together. Much of the art of making things out of metal is really about dealing with that crystal structure, arranging not to have big fault lines where tiny chunks of crystal easily cleave apart, leaving you with the embarrassment of having to whinge and wheedle to some hoity-toity elven smith to get your broken sword reforged.

Amorphous metal should be stronger than crystalline metal, but capable of being cast as easily as wax or plastic, with no worries about the metal's internal structure. Maybe amorphous metal would work with 3D printing, too, someday.

The Big Bang Theory had a recent episode with 3D printers. Just 3 hours and it made a 25 cent whistle. :)

The great idea is items can be made in small quantities without the need for a special machine to make that one item. Instead of mass production you have a way for minor production of just what you need.

The problem of being able to download instructions to make your own gun is another problem with new technologies being misused.

The problem of being able to download instructions to make your own gun is another problem with new technologies being misused.

I think that the danger from 3D-printed guns is overhyped. What little I know of guns suggests that their manufacture needs to be at a really high level in order for the gun to have any sort of reliablity and accuracy. Between that and the price, 3D-printed guns are far less than a threat than guns made the standard way. And there will be reasons to police 3D-printing items well before 3D-printed guns become a serious threat: counterfeit items, or items that violate copyright, for instance, will probably become a big deal sooner than later.

Dikiyoba can't see 3D printing taking over serious manufacturing any time soon. It has just gone from primarily research and development (hence the name rapid prototyping) to include the domestic arts-and-crafts market as well.