Hello everyone, I have some questions.

titan357

First post here! :D

I picked up Avernum, Escape from the pit almost 1 year ago on the steam sale. It was a impulse buy because it was so cheep. Up until that point I had no idea this company even existed (thanks steam!)

The game sit around until this weekend, I had never touched it.

This game has really won me over, 27 hours in and I still have a lot of things left to do and places to explore.

I am very impressed with this game. The story and game world are very well written. Its a rare thing that I stay up late because I lost track of time these days. Escape from the pit has caused me to loose track of time quite a bit.

So, my question.

I own A:EFTP already, 4-6 and Nethergate :Resurrection on steam. I plan on picking up Avadon on steam as well.

Now, is it worth picking up the Complete Avernum saga and Genforge on GOG?

I think EFTP is a remake of Avernum 1? So I could skip right to Avernum 2?

What game should I play next? I really enjoyed the story so far in Avernum, so should I go to the 2nd game in the serires?

Avadon and Nethergate: Resurresction look great.

Thanks!

You're right, A:EftP is a remake of Avernum 1. There will be remakes of Avernum 2 and 3 coming over the next couple of years, so it's up to you whether you want to pick up the first Avernum trilogy now or wait for the remakes and play the Geneforge series in the meantime.

For both Geneforge and Avernum, playing the series in order will help you understand and appreciate certain aspects of the plot, but isn't absolutely necessary: each game includes enough background information that you shouldn't be confused about what's going on. Both series received significant engine upgrades over time, particularly from #4 onward, making later games a lot more user-friendly for people who aren't familiar with older RPGs.

All Spiderweb games have large and representative demos and your savefile from the demo carries over into the full game, so if you're unsure about any games you haven't bought yet, feel free to try them out.

You're right, A:EftP is a remake of Avernum 1. There will be remakes of Avernum 2 and 3 coming over the next couple of years, so it's up to you whether you want to pick up the first Avernum trilogy now or wait for the remakes and play the Geneforge series in the meantime.

For both Geneforge and Avernum, playing the series in order will help you understand and appreciate certain aspects of the plot, but isn't absolutely necessary: each game includes enough background information that you shouldn't be confused about what's going on. Both series received significant engine upgrades over time, particularly from #4 onward, making later games a lot more user-friendly for people who aren't familiar with older RPGs.

All Spiderweb games have large and representative demos and your savefile from the demo carries over into the full game, so if you're unsure about any games you haven't bought yet, feel free to try them out.

Well, Now I guess it really just comes down to picking up genforge and then figuring out if I want to wait for the remakes or go on and finish out Avernum:EFTP and 2/3.

I just got Avadon so now the only thing I am missing is Genforge and Avernum 1-3.

Any idea when the remake of 2 and 3 are going to come out?

I feel pretty involved in the story and would like to contune it, it reminds me of fallout 1/2 and the games I played when I was growing up. Where the story was great, the writing was great and the game play is good, and depends on what your character can do, not what skill I have with a mouse and k/b.

I am very impressed with Escape from the pit so far, and Avadon looks like its running on the same engine. NG:R has a setting that I am interested in, and genforge and the original 1-6 of Avernum don't look like they would put me off.

Sorry for the double post, I had another question.

I already own everything now, I picked up all the games today to round them out.

I picked up the complete saga on GOG, along with genforge 1-5 on GOG and I have EFTP, Avadon and NG;R on steam. (and A4-6)

Do you all think it would best to finish up EFTP (I am really enjoying it) then pick up Avadon and after that NG:R. Both of those games seem really neat, but I am guessing NG:R is on a older engine?

I was thinking along these lines, finish EFTP move to Avadon then NG:R. Nethergate seems like it has a really neat story. Then start Genforge and by the time I am done with those I could pick back up with A2 to 6.

I just dont want to start A2 and forget what when down in EFTP. I figure I should be 2-4 weeks on each game.

I am 27 hours in Escape from the pit and still have a long list of quests to finish and lots of map left to visit.

I figure I should round it out in the 30-40 hour range. Thats pretty amazing value for what little money I spent.

I still have to go east and north of Bargah, north of that mage tower into the burning reaching, the shattered fort and some drake pit and beyond in the south west.

Plus all the quests I have left. I really like to explore every little area.

Nethergate: Resurrection uses a variation of the Avernum 3/Blades of Avernum game engine, but has a completely different magic system. A really great story and plenty to do in such a small world with the Romans and Celts seeing different parts of some areas and getting different reactions from the NPCs.

Most games run 30 to 50 hours, but you can take much longer with reloads and/or going back and forth to explore. That doesn't include replays of the Geneforge games to join different factions or trying different partiesin any of the games. Even at the older higher prices you get lots of hours for a low price.

Avernum 2 has places early in the game where you can get information about Avernum 1 events. It has a huge section that isn't in any other game.

NG:R is generally one of the favorites on these boards. While it is in an old engine, almost everyone here will tell you that it's worth playing.

Personally, if I were you, I'd finish A:EFTP, play Avernum 2 and decide whether you like the old engine, and then either...

If you like/can deal with the old engine, finish Avernum 2, play Avernum 3 (this will take a while — it's about twice as long as the preceding two), play NG:R, and then either take a detour to Blades of Avernum (same old engine, lots of user-created scenarios) or move on to the new engine. Run through Avernum 4-6, and then go to Geneforge 1-5. Then play Avadon.

If you don't like the old engine, you can either jump to the later games, Avernum 4-6, which were made in the newer engine and have minor spoilers for Avernum 2 and 3, or you can leave Avernum altogether and play Geneforge and Avadon as you wait for Avernum 2 and 3 to be remade. You don't have to remember the exact details of Avernum 1 for Avernum 2, so leaving it behind for a while is not too bad.

Enjoy! These games are a lot of fun, and they get better as you go along. There are a few misses, but they're mostly really, really good.

I'll reiterate what has been said above. The plots of each game never hinge on little details from previous games. Everything you need to remember you'll be reminded of. Mostly there are some familiar faces you'll encounter again and some passing references to past events that you played, but you'll pick up on them even if you've waited years between games.

—Alorael, who therefore doesn't think there's much harm in jumping around among games. You could alternate Avernums and Geneforges and stick in Avadon and Nethergate whenever you feel like adding variety and it would work out fine.

That's all true, but the Geneforge series has a sort of thematic arc that works best in the original sequence, in my opinion. You can figure out what's going on from any point, but it's somehow easier to appreciate what's going on in order. Things escalate in a way that makes sense, and feels inevitable. You start out discovering something that's clearly going to upend the world, and you see the world slowly topple over.

Nethergate: Resurrection was indeed a really interesting story and an interesting world, and quite realistic in depicting Roman history and Celtic history-plus-myth. If the archaic engine is too much of a turn-off, maybe don't play it first. Once you've been able to appreciate Geneforge 1, say, then you might find yourself more willing to get into N:R.

I'm not saying that I recommend playing out of order, but I don't think it's important to play the games in rapid succession. You won't forget the major stuff with even a year or two between games, and if you do it will come back very quickly as you get into the next one. Like Kel, I think alternating to give some variety to your gaming is a good idea. Or throw in some non-Spiderweb games too!

—Alorael, who won't say anything about going for a walk or taking up another hobby in the intermission between games.

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the input.

I have A2 to 6 with geneforge series, avadon, NG:R and eschalon book 1 and 2 as well as some other games I still need to play.

I also got automation, Age of decadence and Star citizen on order.

The steam winter sale was really good to my library but hard on my wallet.

I am really into the setting of Avernum and I think I am just going to pick up 2 after I get done with EFTP. I think I am pretty close to ending EFTP anyway.