Feel So Useless

Death Knight

Im just about finished with Avernum Escape from the Pit, my 2nd play through the great game. At this point I really have run out of games to play for spiderweb. Its kind of lame as Ive had previous tries with the other Avernum second trilogy but all have ended with failure to progress past a 1/3 of the game. I find that usually with the early to late beginning I have very few problems, but as soon as the game reaches close to the middle, the game becomes too hard and even lowering the difficulty doesnt work.

My biggest problems run with any of the games before the new stat system in Avadon and Avernum Reremake. I find that Avernum 4 and 5 are ruthless although I havent played 6. And dont even get started on Geneforge series as those games are brutal.

I kind of wish that Jeff had more titles with the new system than more so with the old way.

Well, now that you know, read a Strategy Central topic or two and then go wild with one of the earlier games.

There really are crazy exploits in these games, and you can find out what they are on Strategy Central. My "Avadon on Torment solely pumping Dexterity" experience taught me that.

Well I can understand the crazy exploits for certain games. Avernum's reremake's exploit is that melee is powerful when you max out hardiness and place points into strength and endurance. I can understand that and it has become the most simplistic. Avadons is fairly simple too-place points into dexterity and endurance and your good. Again fairly simple.

I'd like to make a melee party in Avernum 5 that is fairly simplistic like my two Avernum parties in the rerelease. The only problem is that I dont know which route I should go. Some people's guides on here say that strength, endurance and skill with weapons and a little quick action. Others say that you HAVE to get parry and blademaster. On top of that, I dont know which trait to get, good constitution and elite warrior or divine touched alone.

I really dont know which person/guide to believe.

No, what I did in the rerelease is I made a hedge wizard who had the most needed spells from priest spells like the aoe healing spells, then I go all out with mage spells. I use the 2 tanks as an offense and a defense for my wizard. My hedge wizard casts aoes on enemies and heals the tanks when they get low. It worked really well in the other Avernum game and I didnt have very little trouble save coming back to a harder fight later.

Your basic concept sounds good to me and is close to the one I used. I pulled up my A5 file, but the saved games had been erased. So, I pulled up A4 and had the following statistics in the later stages of the game.

Tank - melee human Str=7, Dex=7,Int=4,End=7, Melee=10, Bows=8, Quick Strike=6, Parry=7, Blademaster=18

Ssch - melee slith Str= 14, Dex=5, Int=5, End=8, Pole=14, Bows=14, Quick Strike=2, Parry=2, Blademaster=3

Mrr - priest Bows=12, Priest=17

Cordelia - wizard Int=10, Mage=17

It seemed to work quite well.

What's "brutal" about the Geneforge games? I've never had any problems with any of them, with multiple sorts of (probably non-optimal in some cases) builds per game... although if you're playing on torment, it's your own fault. ;p Didn't have any trouble with Avernum 5 either, (haven't played 4 or 6 yet). You mention turning down the difficulty, which implies that it was set to something higher than "please don't hurt me daddy" to begin with. I almost always play every game (Spiderweb or otherwise) on the lowest difficulty level available. Because I'd rather just have fun than get frustrated with stuff.

What's "brutal" about the Geneforge games? I've never had any problems with any of them, with multiple sorts of (probably non-optimal in some cases) builds per game... although if you're playing on torment, it's your own fault. ;p Didn't have any trouble with Avernum 5 either, (haven't played 4 or 6 yet). You mention turning down the difficulty, which implies that it was set to something higher than "please don't hurt me daddy" to begin with. I almost always play every game (Spiderweb or otherwise) on the lowest difficulty level available. Because I'd rather just have fun than get frustrated with stuff.

I usually play on normal and don't change it, except for Geneforge 1 which was ridiculous on easy and the only game I completed. Ive insisted with jeff that if I can't play through the game with an enjoyable experience on normal difficulty, then there's no reason to play the game at all.

Enjoyability is purely speculative. Some people enjoy really tough game play and some enjoy games they don't have to think too hard on. It's not possible to please everyone even though I know Jeff does his best. Expecting Jeff to change his games to accommodate you specifically, though, is unrealistic. There are people on the opposite spectrum who want him to make them harder. Maybe his games AREN'T for you, but complaining about them being too hard is neither productive nor entirely true since, once again, difficulty is subjective.

If you've stopped enjoying them, no one is forcing you to play. If you don't like that you've spent money on games that you don't find enjoyable... I say suck it up. Its the risk you take when you pay for any entertainment; books, movies, games, comedy shows... Nothing is guaranteed to tickle your fancy. We're here to help if you want strategy advice, otherwise repeating your grievances (to us or to Jeff) will likely get you nowhere.

Jeff does have a one year refund policy if you don't like his games. And after the first caller cussed him out for five minutes he decided you don't even need to give him a reason. :)

If you cuss out an indie game developer for five minutes you don't deserve a refund. And if I was Jeff I wouldn't give a [censored] if that would mean they stop buying my games.

Jeff does have a one year refund policy if you don't like his games. And after the first caller cussed him out for five minutes he decided you don't even need to give him a reason. :)

I can see being frustrated with a game about one problem, but cursing at someone's another story. I had a problem with Inquisitor because the game is really hard in the beginning, but the maker's stated that the game was meant to be that way for the reason that it was an old school game. Even then, if anyone wants to play a game that is truly tough, try Inquisitor and hope that you stock up on like 20 potions in the beginning.