Email users have less privacy

Randomizer

From today's Wall Street Journal comes this examination of the lack of email privacy. While most of the time the government needs a warrant, for older emails of 6 months or more they are considered abandoned property. No warrant is needed for the older stuff.

Time to go through and delete my old emails.

EU plans that websurfers needs to chat etc with their real name and face.

This sounded plausible because the EU is starting stuff like this all the time (see data retention laws, blocking of websites, ACTA, SOPA, etc.), but I could find no such thing currently that went beyond a few clueless politicians grandstanding for the media. Is there a specific law in the European parliament that you're talking about?

• 2 weeks later...

there was this dude when i was in high school who gave a speech to us and mentioned how in terms of privacy we should treat unencrypted email as equivalent to a conversation in a crowded restaurant. if someone specifically wants to listen in on you it's fairly easy for them to do so

i still think that's good advice

That's true for anything sent via an unencrypted connection. Anyone with a packet sniffer can see that data with next to no effort.

It still amazes me encrypted connections aren't commonplace yet. people would be up in arms if hooligans could read your snail mail as easily as they could read your http cookies.

Edited by صيلي
part of the reason, i would imagine, is that http uses a system that requires owners to dole out money to get certs signed by CAs upstream. back in my day didn't need no stinking CAs, we had the web of trust and liked it that way.

Part of it is that there is only a small number of people who are aware of the issue, have the political clout to make others aware, and want to make others aware of it. Obviously, most authorities (eg. law enforcement, national intelligence) don't want encryption to become too ubiquitous lest criminals become too hard to catch. (Actual criminals, even, not just dissidents.)

Even people mindful of their own privacy might fear that ubiquitous encryption could lead to a government crack-down. But I think that's bad reasoning. Everyone who has secrets to protect would profit from ubiquitous encryption, because their use of it will stand out less. And the more people use it, the more political resistance a government would face when trying to stamp it out.

Even people mindful of their own privacy might fear that ubiquitous encryption could lead to a government crack-down.

isn't that what the NSA is doing with their internet archive? recording all encrypted mail so in the future when computers are more powerful and can break current encryption methods they will just go an decrypt it from their archive.