No, Seriously!

Callie

Cairo Jim, Rowan,

I thank you. It is my intention to provoke people to think out their feelings and perceptions, to try to understand why they believe what they do, and to encourage them to understand, even they don't agree with, the perspectives of other people. I am not comfortable with people who believe something because that is what they are told, and leave it at that. I am told a lot of things, but I think it is important to evaluate them, to weigh them against the opposing views, and then decide whether or not to believe them. I am learning about myself through these discussions as well.

And while we may not change our positions on a particular topic, I believe that we leave a discussion with a better understanding, and a better tolerance, of the other perspectives.

I am shocked and appalled. For this thread to have been labeled "Seriously", and having just had a serious discussion which I believe has been a credit to those who participated, and now we devolve into this? Especially since I, the Punmeister, have for the most part restrained my impertinent tendency to pun.

This is silliness up with which I shall not put!

Click to reveal.. (Bad Rabbit)
Do you folks reeally think I can resist to enjoin in such punned-it-tree? Our discussion was fruitful, but there comes a time to leaf our sanity behind.

Behold, it is fall and there in yon yard lies a pile of leaves someone has so diligently raked into a neat mounnd. With a whoop of joy, the Harehunter launches himself gleefully into the air, landing in the crunchy pile with a resounding "Ker-leaf!"

• 2 weeks later...

Where to begin?

-I almost ensured I could only count to nine (translation for non-woodworker types: nearly cut off one of my fingers) when I was about seven or eight.

-I got my car brand-new almost a decade ago, and I've only driven it 38,000 miles (the odometer just hit that amount on the way home today, in fact).

-I've been cooking on my own since I was in second grade.

-I have an aversion to all things gambling, mainly because I nearly always lose. Back when I did gamble, I won a grand total of $4, $1 in each of 4 different years.

-I created my own chicken kabob recipe.

-I've made about 50-60 of the levels that come with SubTerra, not including a handful that repeat in different sets.

-I look younger than I am--a lot younger. I was mistaken for 15 when I was 23, and for barely 20 or 21 when I was 30. To this day, I still need to show my ID to buy alcohol, though it's not as common as it was.

-I hashed together a recipe for eggplant parmesan from three different recipes I found online, and it worked great the first time.

-My mother tells me that I act just like my father, and my father tells me that I act just like his father. Translation: Apparently, I'm at least a third-generation kook.

-I donate blood on a regular basis, and recently started working on my eighth gallon.

-One of my grandfathers was born in the 19th century.

-When I built my computer two years ago, it worked on the first try. This was also my very first attempt at building a computer.

-I've been working at a pizza place for just over six years now. Out of everyone who was working there at the time, there's nobody left. Out of everyone who replaced them, there's nobody left. Out of everyone who replaced them, there's nobody left. And out of everyone who replaced this group, they've all been replaced about three or four times, except for a handful of die-hards.

-I have a somewhat higher than normal heat tolerance; there are several hot objects I can pick up barehanded that just about everyone else I know can't even come close to touching.

-Ever since I discovered VirtualBox, I've become something of a collector of operating systems.

-When I was a boy scout, I earned the Mile Swim award--twice.

-I once burned all the hair off my right forearm (since grown back).

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
-I donate blood on a regular basis, and recently started working on my eighth gallon.

I am currently working on my seventh. I would have been there, but I had to go on hiatus when my Parkinson's got too bad. Now that I have it pretty much under control, I am back in the vein. The folks at the blood center really like it when I show up, I have the good flavor of blood, O- .

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I am currently working on my seventh. I would have been there, but I had to go on hiatus when my Parkinson's got too bad. Now that I have it pretty much under control, I am back in the vein.
That's a good reason to stop for a while. My mother stopped for several years after becoming a diabetic, or she'd probably be around gallon number 10 or 12 by now. Also, pun noted.
Originally Posted By: Harehunter
The folks at the blood center really like it when I show up, I have the good flavor of blood, O- .
Ditto. I'm even getting to be on a first-name basis with some of them, and have even joked that I should keep an 8-week standing appointment.

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP. (Apologies for the double post, let alone topic necro.)

More fun facts:

-While on vacation about 20 years ago, I bought a slide rule in an antique shop. I've even taught myself how to use it a little.

-According to family legend, one of my grandmothers was born in 1913, on a Friday the 13th.

-I made a 3-number combination lock out of wood. It's a little quirky, but it works.

-I once had a series 6 securities license.

-I consider 3D puzzles, regardless of difficulty rating, to be child's play. Straight out of the box, even the hardest ones take me about 4 hours at most.

-Since about mid-February, I've had a craving for Tabasco hot sauce. Year-to-date, I've bought and consumed two 2-ounce bottles; a 5-ounce bottle; and, most recently, a 12-ounce bottle (currently about one-third gone). By the end of the year, if I finish off the 12-ounce bottle, and if I also include what I've also used when in restaurants, I'll have used a grand total of about a full quart of the stuff. The upside: The summer was really hot this year here, and the hot sauce helped me endure the hot temperatures a bit better. The downside: I'm probably setting myself up for some major stomach problems later in life.