What builds does Jeff play with?

RaustBlackDragon

It occurred to me recently, with all the talk about how the recommended builds involve putting everything into one stat, that the various loading screen tips seem to indicate that this isn't how Jeff plays his games. I'm sure he does play them, so I'm curious if he's ever shared what builds he generally makes for his characters?

From what I can see and what Ive spoken with jeff about, I would say that jeff pretty much would go with a general approach instead of a maximize damage one. I doubt he would follow the strategy central approach as I think that he would be more inclined to go with an approach likewise to his builds at the creation screen-Shaman, Berserker, Rogue. I might be wrong but why else would he include adding dexterity to a fighter based class if he doesn't play one himself.

I spoke with jeff about this a while back and he said he usually plays each game he makes 1 time.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Yeah, it's worth noting that Jeff is not actually an expert player of his own games, although presumably he's competent enough. He's continually surprised by what his beta testers manage to achieve.

I think Avernum 5 was the first game where Jeff started to ask beta testers how they played his games instead of just playing with saved games from just before a fight. Once Jeff started to hear how testers played, he started to remove game exploits.

Naw, he's asked testers what they did before, and nerfed in response. I think my explanation of the old Geneforge corner exploit, for instance, may have triggered a major change to combat.

(It was the introduction of the mechanic where you can't move after attacking, but you can always get one more attack in if you have any AP left. Before that, it used to be that if you had enough AP, you could be invulnerable in a zone with enough corners. You could blast a monster, then run back around a corner, and get far enough that by the time the monster got around the corner to see you, it had too few AP left to attack.)