Does anyone think we'll see another Redbeard?

Death Knight

Im playing through Avadon a second time and one of the things that made the game much more replayable than the other series is the characters in Avadon. Redbeard, Miranda, Moritz-Kri and Zhethron are all awesome and very well done characters with Redbeard at the top of the list.

Ive played jeff's other series but so far it seems like Avadon's characters are just so much more unforgetable compared to the other series jeff made.

Redbeard's quips and discussions that he has with the main character were sometimes funny, and at the same time-deathly serious. I guess that was one of the things that jeff figured he did with the character. He made him a ruthless keeper, but with the jolly charisma of the nicest guy; if you do what he says.

There were a few other really cool characters but they were mostly in the Geneforge series as I havent completed any of the Avernum series. Alwan and Greta were both awesome in Geneforge 4 and Greta more so in Geneforge 5.

Im not finished/at the middle with A:Escape from the Pit but Ive heard that jeff mentioned he started getting better in his writing later on.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
Im playing through Avadon a second time and one of the things that made the game much more replayable than the other series is the characters in Avadon. Redbeard, Miranda, Moritz-Kri and Zhethron are all awesome and very well done characters with Redbeard at the top of the list.

Same impression smirk. Although, I think that there will be another Redbeard. How will you call Avadon an Avadon anymore when it is in ruins? I think that the next keeper will be less of a "Redbeard" and more of a... I don't know.
----------
-A

Erika is better than most, but Jeff has never been one to give characters serious development. I think Redbeard stands as the most personable person in any of the games, and even he doesn't have anything like depth, just an interesting persona.

—Alorael, who wrote this mostly to use as many permutations on person as possible. All the alliteration and assonance also adds something.

Originally Posted By: Apposite Day!
I think Redbeard stands as the most personable person in any of the games, and even he doesn't have anything like depth, just an interesting persona.

Yes. In starting the Avadon demo, you will witness many, many rumors that Redbeard is clearly dangerous and powerful. This however, makes me very aware of my dialogues when talking to him. I almost read dialogues like 5 times before choosing it.
-------
-A

Part of it is that you get to talk to Redbeard more about other things than the next quest compared to other characters. You can hear their background story, but rarely do you get the other discussions and chances to see how mad you can make an NPC without getting killed for it.

Originally Posted By: There are some who call me
Erika is better than most, but Jeff has never been one to give characters serious development.

Arguably the biggest problem with SW games, overlooking the obvious and irritating drawbacks that come with indie games of this genre. But games like Avernum and Geneforge, etc. play like Choose Your Own Adventure books, with depth. The issue is they rely primarily on scenes, environment descriptions, and how you - the player are supposed to feel rather than other characters with which you can interact.

Litalia did go through some development; however, it almost felt like a lie or a trap that I didn't believe at first because that's how unusual it is for Jeff's characters to do things like this.

Originally Posted By: Neb
Litalia did go through some development; however, it almost felt like a lie or a trap that I didn't believe at first because that's how unusual it is for Jeff's characters to do things like this.

Moreover, Litalia in any one game was static. G3, crazy hardcore Rebel Shaper. G4, recovering canister addict. G5, faction leader. While the longterm view of her story and changing is actually a really good arc, we never see the change happens. It always happens between set changes.

The most infamous example of not changing, IMHO, is Rentar Ihrno though.

Rentar-Ihrno gets credit from me for having an evolving role with a fixer presonality. In A2 she's opposition: not militantly hostile, but definitely not human-friendly. In A3 her role hinges on having exactly the same beliefs. (In A4 she's still taking the same role, but now past the point at which she really ought to knock it off, or at least not be front and center with it.)

—Alorael, who also considers Kelner, Solberg, Greta, and Alwan examples of this type of consistent characterization. It's also interesting to see how single individuals change as their personality and motives remain the same but their roles shift.