IRC CHAT

CalRef's chat is pretty well frequented. The more prominent Spidweb members communicate through various means including AOL. In the somewhat old days, we used to organize group chats at a specific time. You might try that.

For instance:

Spiderwebbers interested in live chatting should meet in the IRC room provided above at 8:00 EDT for a casual conversation about whatever they feel like. It needn't be family friendly, but it should be within the bounds of legality.

Or whatever you prefer.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytar
Anyway, it seems the more popular medium for some unfathomable reason is AOL.

Quite literally network effects: Once a few more spiderwebbers used AIM than other services the best way to chat with spiderwebbers was AIM, so more people got AIM accounts. This is what happened for me. I only started using IRC because we use it at work for both intra- and inter-office communication.

Originally Posted By: Aʀᴀɴ
This didn't work the last couple times, either... we have a channel on EsperNet, one on SorceryNet and I think a third one somewhere else. Don't know which one I started.
There's one on Nightstar, yeah.

Do any of the other ones ever get any visitors?

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Once a few more spiderwebbers used AIM than other services the best way to chat with spiderwebbers was AIM, so more people got AIM accounts.

This, at least, doesn't require an account to participate. It is therefore rather suited to casual and infrequent chats, provided you're not too concerned about impersonation.