Avernum 2: Crystal Souls

Plus part of the issue isn't just a game-design modernization - getting the older Avernums and Spiderweb games to run on modern systems can be a challenge.

That said, because it is a remake, it might just be dampened by the fact that a lot of his long time fans have already danced to this tune twice before, while Avadon's totally shiny and new. And has ninjas. But that's beside the point.

For diehard fans, there's no issue, though. And, apparently, in a niche like his, that's enough to justify the work. Really, I think the only remake that made him say "never again" was BoA, though that had other issues than being a remake from my understanding.

Besides, A2:CS will be less work now that he's done the new engine adaptation once already. That'll either translate to a shorter development time, or a lot more added goodies. Either way, we win.

Keep in mind that AEFTP has been out for a very limited time on the platforms that get the most exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if several months from now, total sales of both titles are similar.

If you count the HIB sales, I would even expect AEFTP to have a greater eventual sales volume, if not actual income.

EDIT: Oh wait, HIB was Avadon, wasn't it. NEVER MIND!

I agree that it seems very early to judge the overall sales figures. It has been less than 2 weeks since the release date of the windows version, and without the hype of paid advertising, big magazine previews or even television comercials, it can take a few months for word of mouth to get around and interested customers stumbling over it on Steam.

Where do you read thing about the sales-figures of this game anyways?

Plus, there are probably many people who just don't know about it. I had never even heard of the series until I happened to see it on sale on Steam.

$20 (or $10 from Steam) is NOTHING for a game as rich and deep as this. I can see the younger crowd being turned off by the simple graphics, but I doubt that's a big loss, since they're less likely to have the money to spend on games. (Of course, now that I am old enough to have the money, what I lack is the time to play them!)

Originally Posted By: Caribou16
Plus, there are probably many people who just don't know about it. I had never even heard of the series until I happened to see it on sale on Steam.

$20 (or $10 from Steam) is NOTHING for a game as rich and deep as this. I can see the younger crowd being turned off by the simple graphics, but I doubt that's a big loss, since they're less likely to have the money to spend on games. (Of course, now that I am old enough to have the money, what I lack is the time to play them!)

Same for me. I didn't know about Spiderweb in general till I bought Avadon on Steam. Now I'm in love with it and Avernum. Working through Avernum now and can say I'm actually enjoying it more than I did Avadon in some ways. Now that I'm hooked on these two, I'm hoping he'll continue the remakes and maybe continue Avadon as well at some point.

Why, yes. Avernum 2 re-remake is obviously gonna be released, sometime, in a distant future...

Too bad that sales aren't going so well, but hey, a few years ago spiderweb software games were almost only for the socially undeveloped kind of person, so their inclusion on Steam seems quite nice to me.

I hope that some day I can actually have some way to purchase games with my own money online... of course, there's my sister credit card, but I prefer no to involve her in this kind of sinister transactions xD

The sales for Avernum: Escape from the Pit seem to be lower than Avadon because Jeff isn't advertising it as much. Jeff still gets lots of player comments along the lines of:

I played one of your games and didn't know you were still in business.

There's someone out there that still makes old style computer RPGs?

Isn't his comment about the iPad version?

anyway, all I know is that I brought the Mac version and recently found out why spell upgrades ingame cost so much gold lol :-(

Probably I can use the same key on the Windows side since I can dual boot but I haven't tried it yet....