Questions on Weapon Damage

I have been playing through the game (about level 23, just killed Sss-Thsss) and my main warrior has 20 melee and 10 blademaster. Is it normal that all shortswords exceed the damage of all broadswords at this point? I was originally very excited for broadswords as they did more damage and could cleave, but can't be used in the offhand slot. For whatever reason (likely poor scaling) my Steel Broadsword does about 30 less damage on average than a Crude Shortsword. Is there any method to this madness, or are shortswords just monstrous late-game?

EDIT:

Here are the images: Weapon Damage Images

The broadswords out DPS the shortswords for all of my characters that have 0 melee weapons. Otherwise, the shortswords out DPS the broads. I can't figure out what's going on with my game.

Are you sure you are looking at the right numbers? The Broadsword should tell you two damage-ranges, the second one is only valid for the cleave-target.

Both Short-Swords and Broad-Swords should be 1d4, and get the same Boni from STR and Melee Skill, so there is no reason for the behaviour you describe.

Damage for a Crude Shortsword is 1d4 per die.

# of dice = 3 + Strength + MeleeWeaponsSkill + [ExpLevel/2] + 1

Damage for a Steel Broadsword is 1d4 per die, plus 10.

# of dice = 15 + Strength + MeleeWeaponsSkill + [ExpLevel/2] + 1

As you can see, the displayed damage range for a Steel Broadsword should be exactly 22-58 higher. That's about 40 damage more, on average.

If you are comparing actual damage numbers, not previewed numbers, you need to make sure you are testing exactly the same situation. In particular, whether or not you are dual wielding will affect the damage by up to 20%.

That must be it. This was before I got the dual wielding perks. So I would have an effective -20% damage on my Steel Broadsword and that would cause the discrepancy. I will confirm this, but it sounds right.

EDIT:

Doesn't work on my current game, since I have exactly enough dual wielding bonuses to exactly negate the damage loss. frown I still think this is right.

Actually, to still test it he would have to go and remove his 10 points in dual wielding with the editor.

Edit: Just tested myself, and that is not the explanation for his confusion. A character with no SW skill will still display the same damage for a weapon, regardless if he is dual-wielding or not. Everything acting as a percentage on damage is not considered by the tool-tip.

Oh, wow. I see what's going on here.

The halberds are working the way they are supposed to; the Iron Spear just has 3 levels of bonus more than the Bronze Halberd.

Broadswords ARE messed up. Wow. Due to a mistake in the ability definitions file, shortswords get bonus points from Melee Weapons skill, but broadswords DON'T. Wow.

This is definitely a bug, and it's very real. I apologize for doubting you.

(EDIT: Happily, this bug does not afflict the Remix, as I eliminated the distinction between sword types.)

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Oh, wow. I see what's going on here.

The halberds are working the way they are supposed to; the Iron Spear just has 3 levels of bonus more than the Bronze Halberd.

Broadswords ARE messed up. Wow. Due to a mistake in the ability definitions file, shortswords get bonus points from Melee Weapons skill, but broadswords DON'T. Wow.

(EDIT: Happily, this bug does not afflict the Remix, as I eliminated the distinction between sword types.)

No worries. I should have posted images from the get-go. I was thinking that more people had this issue, so they would be able to answer my question from experience. I just kind of figured that Jeff thought cleave was overpowered and made broads scale worse intentionally.

Luckily players switch over to special swords quite soon and avoid that bug.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Luckily players switch over to special swords quite soon and avoid that bug.

I do like to do non-artifact runs from time to time. I was looking at getting an early Steel Broadsword because I figured that special weapons would be as rare in this version of Avernum as in other versions. Boy was I wrong. I'm honestly very surprised that Scrioth didn't make a return. I miss shooting firebolts out of my sword. >:D