Forum picture confusion

Trenton.

I was pleasantly surprised to find "Rakshasas" in Avernum; It's a term I've been hearing from childhood.

Also known as "Asuras", they play an important role in many stories from the Hindu mythology*. Wonder where Jeff got the word.

*In the myths, Rakshasas and Rakshasis (female) are demons with special powers who go around causing trouble for the humans and saints ("sanyasis").The words originate in Sanskrit.

Rakshasas are featured in other RPG platforms, usually along extremely similar lines as to the classical mythological description. You can find them in D&D, for instance. As an advanced Black Belt of Nerd-jitzu, Jeff likely encountered them there.

As to their place in Spiderweb, well they've been a part of Jeff's work since either Exile 1 or 2.

Different mythologies, different standards.

Besides, in classical European mythology, there ARE female demons as well.

As to demonic reproduction... Well again, even in classical, European/Judeo-Christian Mythology, it happens.

In the World of Avernum...? We haven't had the kind of demonology exposure to know or not. Are demons fundamental, eternal beings that have always been? Are they periodically spawned of raw darkness and evil? Are they comparable to mundane, biological creatures with a need to procreate to sustain their kind?

We just don't know. Or at least I don't remember if it's ever been explained in detail.

They don't reproduce (at least in the stories), but they do come in both male and female varieties. They were humans in their past lives, but they sinned, so they got recreated as Asuras.

Alamvusha was an evil rakshasa who fought for the Kauravas. He used his shape-changing abilities to trick and kill the son of Arjuna (Arjuna is one of the Pancha Pandavas).

Alamvusha was killed by Ghatothkacha, the rakshasa-son of Bhima (brother of Arjuna & member of the Pancha Pandavas).

Ghatothkacha was killed by Karna, brother (but rival) of the Pandava brothers using a divine arrow, which he had saved up for his fight against Arjuna, but was forced to use it against Ghatothkacha instead as the rakshasa was turning the tides in the Pandavas' favour.

All this is part of the Mahabhaaratha("Great War") between the five Pandava brothers and the hundred Kaurava brothers.

(well, didn't mean to go so deep, but couldn't help myself smile )

The town's Erox, but I think you got the idea.

—Alorael, who thinks the presence of demons is obvious: wizards summon them, bind them, do all those wizardy things that require demons. It's also not clear that rakshasas work that way, as in the games they're never seen summoned, just living in luxury wherever they're working together. It's possible they're demonic without being from another plane.

Wound hurts anything. The easiest way to check is to look at creature race definitions in BoE and BoA, which have a "demon" category. I know they aren't demons in Exile, and I was under the impression that was also the case in Avernum.

EDIT: Just checked BoA. Demons are race 7, and rakshasi (that's the plural in SW games, odd though it is) are race 1, along with goblins, kobolds, troglodytes, and dryads.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Rakshasa are explicitly not demons in Spiderweb games.

Demonslayer does bonus damage to them in Exile 2. Try it! It was changed in later games, though -- probably starting in either E3 or BoE. (Some of the creature definitions did change significantly between E3 and BoE.)

• 2 weeks later...