Suggestion.

Fleabag

Since I am new to this forum, I don't know where else to post any suggestions, so here goes - I would like for you to create Linux versions of you're games, as I am seriously contemplating a move from the Windows operating system to Linux (for operating system stability reasons) I don't want to lose being able to play Avernum 6, and while I'm on the subject, maybe you could create a forum where other members could make suggestions.

Thanks!

The Exile 3 port wasn't done by Jeff. Quite simply, Linux has such a small market share, and its market share is so overwhelmingly likely to be able to run Windows programs anyway, that it's an immense waste of time to port. Jeff would rather put those hours into making a new game.

—Alorael, who could conceivably see Linux users being willing to pay again for access on their OS of choice. As it is, most would happily register for Windows and then just have Linux access too as a bonus.

Dual boot. No matter what the guys at ubuntuforums say, you still need a proper operating system if you're going to work with other people at some point. And don't even bother playing games through wine. You can do it, sure; but would you rather play the game on your evening off, or play with the wine settings all night?

Windows, including win7 is terrible, but linux is no rose garden either.

Wine and dual-booting are both reasonable options. Wine is free and doesn't require restarting your machine. Dual-booting is probably simpler. Wine can be a pain, but so is Windows. It depends on what you want. If Wine is easy and you only really want a few applications every so often, it's probably the way to go. If you intend to play Windows games for long times, dual-booting may be better.

I used a dual-boot machine (Ubuntu / XP) for several years, and will never try that again. Two different Linux distributions, maybe; Windows is simply not a good neighbor. I've sunk more hours into troubleshooting that setup than getting any Wine game to run.

(Admittedly, this is because sometimes I find out that it is impossible, and stop trying before wasting too much time.)

All of the first 4 Avernum games and at least the first 2-3 Geneforge games worked in Wine (still haven't had the leisure to start on the rest) without much effort, though I've had some lags and mouse trouble.

I've had no problems with a Mac/XP dual boot. I don't know if that's because Apple put a lot of development time into making sure Windows stays in its own partition.

—Alorael, who doesn't actually boot Windows very often. For most uses, Wine variants on Mac are more than adequate.

For what it's worth, I have an Ubuntu/Vista desktop, and an Ubuntu/XP netbook, and have never had any significant problems with either. The only time I've ever bricked anything is when I tried to triple-boot Windows 98, Puppy Linux, and OpenBSD on an ancient Toshiba laptop. Which was basically me just goofing off anyway, so no loss there.

I used to have a Mac/XP dual boot as well, with no issues. In the end though, I was so lazy about rebooting into Windows, using Wine programs made more sense for me. The only program I needed Windows for was actually an embroidery machine program for my mum, but she was able to get an old Windows machine for it last summer, making even that pointless to have on my computer.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I've tried Paintbrush but find it does not have the same functionality and ease of use as Paint, mostly because it's impossible to properly copy and paste things into a Paintbrush canvas (or crop them).
Thanks to the power of Wineskin, you can have MS Paint in OS X.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I've tried Paintbrush but find it does not have the same functionality and ease of use as Paint, mostly because it's impossible to properly copy and paste things into a Paintbrush canvas (or crop them).
Thanks to the power of Wineskin, you can have MS Paint in OS X.
Well, that just made my day. This is the second best use of Wineskin I've seen. The best is the wrapper I have for Skyrim, once I buy the game.

I figured I'd give it a try. I always have a copy of Win XP I can set up on a dual boot if it doesn't work well. The wrapper I found claims to work well, and my computer shouldn't have trouble running anything.

I just have to wait for the end of this semester...