The Doctor is In

Dintiradan

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
Don't most of the older movies fit into the established chronology (perhaps not the right term in a time travel series)?

Not quite. There were only ever 2 movies (the Peter Cushing films) and they were both remakes of episodes that had been shown earlier in the series, with William Hartnell. They really aren't regarded as part of the series.

The TV Movie, on the other hand, was broadcast in 1996, seven years after cancellation of the original series. It was viewed as a pilot for a potential revival, and it does follow on from the old series in the sense that it explicitly shows the Sylvester McCoy Doctor regenerating into Paul McGann. The success of the TV Movie can be gauged from the fact that it was the last serious episode of Doctor Who until the new series began nearly ten years later. The new series does acknowledge Paul McGann's Doctor in various places (e.g. the book in Human Nature) so I guess we have to accept, however reluctantly, it does fit in to the chronology.

I'm going to quote a tweet from Simon Pegg that seems relevant (censored to keep it family-friendly):

Quote:

Why is everyone speculating about who should play the Doctor in the Doctor Who movie? Matt Smith is the Doctor, he should [...] play him!!

All this about "Johnny Depp"/"David Tennant" I've been hearing (and not just here, but in real life too) is pretty silly considering there already is a Doctor.

Quote:
"Russell T. Davies and then Steven Moffat have done their own transformations, which were fantastic, but we have to put that aside and start from scratch," he said.

Doesn't sound like they'll be using the current TV doctor. Or the previous one, for that matter. Jack Davenport, maybe? I don't know many British actors besides the ones in Monty Python and Coupling.

Now that the "Harry Potter" series is finally over, maybe they'll ask one of those kids to play the role (I may be imagining things, but it seems like the Doctor gets younger with each new regeneration).

All I know is nobody asked me to play the Doctor. Of course, the fact that I'm not British, never had any acting lessons ever, and would have to lose about thirty pounds may have something to do with it, but still.... tongue

• 3 weeks later...