Steam database hacked

Randomizer

Skyrim required me to install Steam to play it. I was *this* close to returning my copy in exchange for a console version which would undoubtedly suck, because frankly a game I bought a hardcopy of, in person, with cash, has no business demanding I install an unwanted and unsecure program onto my computer in order to play it.

Boo Bethesda. For shame.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Wait... Skyrim on PC requires you to install Steam? Well, I'm glad it's not available for Mac, or I'd be getting my money back. Nothing against Steam, but why would it be required by Bethesda?

DRM to help prevent piracy. Of course it doesn't work. Cracked copies of the game hit torrent sites before it had even been launched, but that's the biggest reason for a developer to require Steam.

It occurs to me that it seems not terribly unfeasible for companies to limit the effectiveness of torrent piracy by hitting the really big sites with plausible but broken torrents. It couldn't stop the smaller sites, nor could it completely shut down the use of say, the Pirate Bay for those willing to put in the work to find real torrents, but it's impressive how little effort seems to go into simple torrent countermeasures.

—Alorael, who is willing to pay a small premium not to have to deal with Steam on Mac. He has a somewhat reversed approach to Windows: because his partition is tiny and can really only hold one game at a time, easy access to a library for downloading is helpful. He just wishes it didn't come with DRM.

Originally Posted By: meekness leaving the body
It occurs to me that it seems not terribly unfeasible for companies to limit the effectiveness of torrent piracy by hitting the really big sites with plausible but broken torrents. It couldn't stop the smaller sites, nor could it completely shut down the use of say, the Pirate Bay for those willing to put in the work to find real torrents, but it's impressive how little effort seems to go into simple torrent countermeasures.

Actually, this is something that's already done. Of course, the major sites also have feedback mechanisms so bad torrents pretty quickly get noticed and ignored. A more common tactic is to put up their own, real torrent of the game, keep track of the IP address of everyone who downloads it from them or uploads it to them, and get in touch with the offenders' ISPs to have action taken against them.