Triple Slartifer, Part 5

Slawbug

238. You mean gods is probably This referred to one of Alorael's PDNs, but I forget which, because it looks more like a response to something than a PDN in and of itself.

206. Saros Shadow Flowerer might be Steinien cornucopia? A cornucopia is just a collection of flowers and fruits, unless you're using it to indicate having lots of something...

233. Chacun Cherche could be When Assistants lose their way? If your assistant's are lost, you might have to search for something yourself?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRIUMPH

226 - NO

201 - NO

RANDOMIZER

202 - NO

Okay, time for some general hint (each hint here pertains to more than one clue):

1) If a PDN looks slightly different from a familiar thing, that slight change is not an accident and is probably key to figuring out what it means.

2) Although I occasionally don't reference every part of a PDN in a clue, the clues are pretty much not going to have extraneous information. If you understand part of a clue, I would suggest trying to decipher the rest of it rather than making a guess based on that one part of the clue. As we have seen, there are a lot of themes repeated over many PDNs, so without a semi-clear understanding of the clue, you are guessing in the dark.

3) In the PDNs, affixes are your friends! (Well, except maybe for the one with the suffixes of death) Breaking down long words will help. A lot.

4) Kant is in here somewhere, yes, and so is Plotkin again.

5) There's more than one way to parse a clue.

6) A number of video game references remain at large.

212. Concometant - Suffixes of death. There's a comet in there (though not a comet mystic), and comets have tails, a suffix of sorts, but that tail can eventually lost as the comet loses its dust and ice and gases and so forth, and maybe that's a death (to the extent that one could call a comet alive)?

210. Guided:Voices :: Expected:Nobody - Presuppositions coming out the reverse, you might say: It's a guess, but no one else has tried either one, so I might as well.

219. Saropotence - Generic mound of flesh in the pits: The closest I can get to saro- is sarco-, which means flesh.

235. Pansupticon Ply - Polyplea: Pan-supplication ply = polymerized plea

Dikiyoba.

DIKIYOBA

210 - no

219 - no

235 - no, but interesting

206 - YES (+3) - Saros Shadow Follower is a magic-oriented character, and the Bainbloom is a flowerstalk that can be used as a staff.

JEWELS

240 - YES (+2)

212 - no - but you are fairly close to the meaning of concomitant, which will help solve the PDN

229 - no - I didn't think of that connection, it makes sense, but the wikipedia reference is too blatant for me to forget, isn't it?

Google, just use your discretion. I don't mind google, I just don't want someone to google everything and ruin the fun for others.

TRIUMPH

231 - YES (+2) - Daemons can be used as assistants, particularly on unix servers, and the whole phrase is a take-off on "Angelus Errare" from Chrono Cross -- "where angels lose their way"

JEWELS

210 - YES (+2) - This was a standardized-test format analogy, in case anyone missed that. Guided is to Voices as Expected is to Nobody. Guided _by_ Voices is a lo-fi band. What's expected _by_ nobody? The Spanish Inquisition, of course! And if you need to be guided by voices, it'll be in narration form. Admittedly, this one pretty much hinged on recognizing the band name.

Last desperate try for the night.

238. You mean gods - Knee-jerk Protestant boots?

A good way to get an automatic Protestant boot up your rear; to tell them their God is supposed to be gods.

228. Folded - Laundry hands and businesses

Laundry gets folded, hands get folded, and businesses fold too.

198. The Infinite and I - Titular crossroads

When you decided to add a non-authoritative title to your PDN?

TRIUMPH

235 - NO - I've never heard of Taloon having a magic box, but you are 2/3 of the way there on what the PDN breaks down into

238 - YES (+2) - Could be a Shakespearean sounding plea or a simple polytheistic correction: "Tell me about your god." "You mean gods."

201 - NO

239 - YES (+2) - Taloon, who was a very goofy character, had the ability (totally unique in the entire series, I believe) to, a certain percent of the time, automatically cancel any spells cast by the enemy: "Necrosaro casts Explodet... but Taloon quickly covers its mouth!" Normally you'd need a spell, StopSpell, to prevent enemy magic use.

201 - NO