Why so much random junk? Why so hard to see?

lokiju

There's an uncalled amount of junk all over the place, many of which, at 1680x1050 I wouldn't be able to see without spamming the G or I keys every few seconds. Why so user-unfriendly? Should I bump up the resolution?

It would be nice if there was a "view all" key like most RPGs, or at least if everything you could pick up became highlighted upon mouse over.

Back to all the pens, shackles, paper, bowls, junk, junk, junk...is this all for sale, or am I being overly meticulous in picking everything up for sale later (I made a thread about this, but didn't even realize then how much crap I would have to pick up in the dungeon!)?

Yes, I might have an issue with OCD...haha.

If it doesn't has a value stated in its description, it's worthless. You can place most of it in your junkbag and then it'll empty out when you sell everything in your junkbag, but a few items will remain for some odd reason. You can literally fill up your junkbag with unsellable bones, bowls, broken swords, and so on. So if you can beat your OCD, you'll beat the hassle of hard-to-see items and having to dump out your junk bag occasionally. If not, well, all the towns and lairs you visit will get a thorough cleaning.

Dikiyoba.

Each and every valuable item has a value written on it; this is approximately one fifth of the money you will get selling it. Items like paper, bowls etc. don't have any value written on them so you cannot sell them.

The value of an item (or the absence of value) along the way you can verify in the "on ground" window that is inside your Inventory.

Thanks for the replies. I understand the call for realism, but was there really a need to add all this useless junk, lol? So how do I know if anything has value outside of selling? Is there any crafting or quest items? Will there ever be a need for shackles, bowls, wine, paper, pen, etc?

I guess what I'm asking is, should I take anything that doesn't have a value amount placed on it?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
If it doesn't has a value stated in its description, it's worthless. You can place most of it in your junkbag and then it'll empty out when you sell everything in your junkbag, but a few items will remain for some odd reason. You can literally fill up your junkbag with unsellable bones, bowls, broken swords, and so on. So if you can beat your OCD, you'll beat the hassle of hard-to-see items and having to dump out your junk bag occasionally. If not, well, all the towns and lairs you visit will get a thorough cleaning.

I THINK the odd reason is that items with a value of zero won't sell, but items with a value above zero will sell for fractional value. You can't sell them individually, but if there are enough in the junk bag, I believe you WILL get credit for them. I haven't explicitly tested this but noticed this when I've done it by accident.

I hesitate to post this knowing the effect it may have...

Originally Posted By: Superba
Each and every valuable item has a value written on it; this is approximately one fifth of the money you will get selling it.

I think you misspoke (or mistyped, in this setting). I think you mean to say that you will receive one fifth of the item value when you sell the item, not the other way around.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I THINK the odd reason is that items with a value of zero won't sell, but items with a value above zero will sell for fractional value. You can't sell them individually, but if there are enough in the junk bag, I believe you WILL get credit for them. I haven't explicitly tested this but noticed this when I've done it by accident.

I know that this was the case in previous games. G1 had a value of less than 0.5 for basic thorns, but if you got a larger number, the game would add them all up and round the value.

Originally Posted By: lokiju
But some armor/weapons don't have a value AFAIK, so it won't sell later? Like leather gloves? Worthless?

This is true. Certain beginning weapons and armors are worthless to shops. Daggers and leather gloves fit this category. Once your characters have graduated to bigger toys, you can just drop all the daggers in some baddies basement for fun.

Also, I think I saw this somewhere, but I couldn't find it as I was pulling quotes. The only items that you ever need to keep for quests are Drake Skins and Arcane Scrolls.

Yeah, someone mentioned that in another thread. It just felt...odd, seeing as you get lighting and rope when you go into the dungeon. This would lead one to believe all items will have a use later. I've never played an RPG where you couldn't sell the wine you find!

Anyways, thanks for your help folks. I just have to get used to how Jeff codes his games. It's been awkward thus far, but I'm slowly coming around.

Originally Posted By: lokiju
There's an uncalled amount of junk all over the place, many of which, at 1680x1050 I wouldn't be able to see without spamming the G or I keys every few seconds. Why so user-unfriendly? Should I bump up the resolution?

Yes, I might have an issue with OCD...haha.

I would advise lowering the resolution and hitting the inventory key a lot. I would go blind playing at my monitor's full resolution.

Originally Posted By: Slartucker

I hesitate to post this knowing the effect it may have...

All right, after looking through the scripts I am content. (Well, except for the trash, since it was specifically set to a value above 0, but I can live with that.) All the unsellable items that look like they should have value such as the bowl and fishing rod are all directly after garbage items so it looks like they might be mistakes.

Dikiyoba just tested your credit theory and it isn't true. (At least on Windows.) Dikiyoba had a fairly full junkbag and was careful to remove everything of value from it. The worthless items were sold but Dikiyoba didn't recieve any coins.