Avernum 4 issues

Urthdigger

I've recently started going through Avernum 4, and I'm having some issues. First off, the controls. I hate how clicking is used both for movement AND for targetting mobs. I keep finding myself trying to click on a mob for a ranged attack, only to waste a bunch of AP and put myself in danger by running up behind the mob. Any advice on dealing with this issue? It sucks having to carefully move my cursor until I've hit just that right pixel where I'm targetting the mob... and hope I don't bump the mouse at all when I click.

Another issue is: Are there any respawning monsters in this game? In the other avernum games, I'm used to having a "safety net" in that, if I ever truly get in trouble I can go kill some wandering monsters on the overworld to grab some xp and gold, and it doesn't look like I can do this in avernum 4. Even though I don't normally need to use that safety net in the other games, it's affecting how I play: I'm not as willing to sell items I come across (especially since I can't buy them back), I never use any potions, wands, or scrolls, and I'm basically a huge miser. Any advice on getting over this or dealing with it?

I had all those same problems when first encountering the engine (in Geneforge 1, almost a decade ago!). But, eventually, you get the knack of the way combat works, and sometimes you can exploit it to your advantage.

Hoarding items can be an issue; but again after playing long enough you learn which items you are likely to ever use and have to force yourself to sell the rest.