Game versions for other tablets

TheBadAgent

Well I bought my new Motorola Xoom four days ago and love it, at the same time, I also happen to love the'games made by spiderweb here. I would expect the popularity of the new android tablets to skyrocket very soon, especially as the new user-made apps emerge. Would it be likely to see conversions of these games for the Android devices? I would guess that it would be easier to do so with an I pad base for it possibly, considering they are both tablets (with some converting file types). If so, I will buy them the instant they came out. laugh

Hopefully, we have the upcomming release for the ipad with Avadon, which leaves me hopeful for the possible release for the Android based devices. But seriously...would be nice if the Androids COULD somehow use .exe files. That would be nice smile

What, with the new Windows tablet (it got released in Canada before the US, while the Xoom for the US and not Canada, where I am right now, lol) which can play this game off the bat since it runs Windows 7...

Well, plain and simple, some Android rpgs like this at all for the Android would be nice! Now hiring skilled programmers =D

Originally Posted By: TheBadAgent
But seriously...would be nice if the Androids COULD somehow use .exe files. That would be nice smile

Not really nice, since it would require them to have x86 CPUs which means no battery life whatsoever at that size ;-)

But, has anyone tried DOSbox? At least Exile should run on Win 3.11.

Originally Posted By: Danny the Fool
But seriously...would be nice if the Androids COULD somehow use .exe files. That would be nice smile

Not really nice, since it would require them to have x86 CPUs which means no battery life whatsoever at that size ;-)

But, has anyone tried DOSbox? At least Exile should run on Win 3.11.

There is to my knowledge no necessity for .exe-files requiring a x86 CPU, at least not physical ones. That would seem to a matter of recompiling for a different processor, nothing more.

The whole point is that a Windows executable is already compiled, which means to my knowledge (and outside of Microsoft's labs) that it consists of x86 instructions. To run the same program on a non-x86 processor one must either recompile the program from source code or use emulation.

To do the former one must have a suitable compiler and all necessary libraries must also be available compiled for the target architecture.

To do the latter one must take the compiled instructions and transform them into instructions for the target processor, which can be done either by an interpreter or by a sort of recompilation (although I'm not sure if I've ever heard it named as such). Any emulation approach will suffer from the overhead of doing the translation at the same time as or just before trying to run, and will tend to end up with much less efficient code since the original compilation process discards a great deal of information about what the program means. Furthermore, to do emulation any libraries with were not linked statically into the executable will also need to be available.

Originally Posted By: Danny the Fool

But, has anyone tried DOSBox? At least Exile should run on Win 3.11.

I use DOSBox for pretty much everything. It's the easiest way for me to get my Dr. Brain fix without spending huge money on useless antiques.