Question about quests; keyboard suggestion

Cala

Hi everyone! I'm new to Spiderweb games, having only played a Geneforge demo a few years ago. At the time, I didn't have enough free time to buy and finish the game. Avadon's release has brought my interest back around here smile I have two things to say, figured I'd cover both here.

1) Just a quick question... I'm the type that likes to wander around and explore even before accepting quests and talking to people (behaving as non-linearly as possible). I remember from the Geneforge demo that if you happened to fight a group of enemies before getting the quest related to them, you simply would not be getting the quest. Is Avadon the same? I'm worried about killing something too soon in my wanderings and missing out on storyline (which is the whole reason I'm playing!) and quest exp.

2) Maybe this is already implimented and I'm missing it, but if not, I think it would be great to add a key that immediately centers your screen on your character. I'll track around the map, using the mini-map, and then be unable to quicky locate my characters. If there is a way to do this that I just haven't picked up on, please let me know!

1. I think the problem is better, if not fixed. The game forces you to be fairly linear, and a number of quest areas aren't available at all until you have at least one quest for the area.

2. Sometimes I am able to press 1 (or 2 or 3) to center on that character. Alas, it doesn't always work. I haven't quite figured out how the system works.

Thanks for the response!

1. Good to hear! Though I was a bit worried by how far I could descend in the dragon's lair without a quest or sorts... especially since one of the creatures I fought down there seemed sort of significant. Also the crypt...

2. I'll experiment with that, thanks!

Quote:
if you happened to fight a group of enemies before getting the quest related to them, you simply would not be getting the quest. Is Avadon the same?

Actually, I think it's pretty good on this. I've killed named beasties like skulltaker and only later bumped into the quest giver, who's been willing to give me the quest and reward me after the fact.

Originally Posted By: the turtle moves
2. Just click on one of your character portraits. I promise it will work every time.

Often it works, but not every time. I'm always disconcerted when it doesn't work, but on more than one occasion I've simply had to remember where I'd sent the party and scroll there on the map, because the portrait clicking didn't work.

Originally Posted By: jlsgaladriel

Originally Posted By: the turtle moves
2. Just click on one of your character portraits. I promise it will work every time.

Often it works, but not every time. I'm always disconcerted when it doesn't work, but on more than one occasion I've simply had to remember where I'd sent the party and scroll there on the map, because the portrait clicking didn't work.

Interesting. The only time it doesn't work for me is if my character is disguised.

Which almost makes sense--I'm so well hidden, I can't find myself!

Originally Posted By: jlsgaladriel

Actually, I think it's pretty good on this. I've killed named beasties like skulltaker and only later bumped into the quest giver, who's been willing to give me the quest and reward me after the fact.

Ah, I'm glad to hear that!