Signatures

Halt

Hey Sonic / Loyal Servile,

This is a message board... not a chat room. There are thousands of users here, and as you can imagine, if we all posted "I have no idea" and other pointless posts in response to everything, well, the whole forum would get swallowed up in posts no one cares about.

Please only post when you have something to add to the conversation -- be it information, humor, or whatever else. Thanks.

Slarty

Images are not permitted in signatures -- I believe the board is actually set to not show them if you put them in.

The FAQ is mostly generic (it comes with the forum software) and unfortunately, not all of it has been updated. Even the Code of Conduct listed there is obsolete. Let me see if we can do something about that!

Actually, it was an amazing story. An epic of heroism, ingenuity, and sacrifice.

The problem was that the animated avatars were cunning and ferocious. They knew we were coming for them. We knew they knew. But we'd been hired to do a job, so there was nothing for it but to do it. We buckled on all the gear we could find, and went in fast. When we looked at our watches afterwards, it had only been twenty minutes. But it felt like we had been squinting at flying pixels for months.

Slarty felt a bit guilty, for having triggered the outbreak, so he took point. But somehow he came through without even visible scars, though he did lose a lot of blood before we got the tourniquet onto his right-click button. It was Stareye who suffered the most. That's why you don't see him often. It takes a lot of effort to run a trackpad when you're thumb's in crutches.

So I hope you'll understand when we ask you not to bring the topic up again.

It's pretty good, although the backgrounds of the logos clash somewhat with the rest of the background.

However, it serves to illustrate a big part of why we don't allow image signatures: For my browser settings and browser window size at least, your image is taller than any of the posts in this thread. Now imagine what would happen if each person used an image up to this size. The length of each page of posts could be nearly doubled, solely by adding repetitive but brightly colored and distracting pictures. This would make it harder to just scan down a thread reading the content of the post, which in theory are the useful stuff we're all here to see.

Signatures have good uses, particularly for making people's posts more unique an identifiable, but identifying the poster is, I would argue, secondary to seeing what the poster has posted. It is of course also possible to abuse the ability to have a text signature, for example by adding a lot of linebreaks and wasting space, but we mostly rely on people being sensible and polite about this.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
It is of course also possible to abuse the ability to have a text signature, for example by adding a lot of linebreaks and wasting space, but we mostly rely on people being sensible and polite about this.

Also, when signatures do get too long, angry mobs usually flame them back down to a reasonable length.

Dikiyoba.