Question to Jeff, and any others that might know: Old marketing / indie publishing info.

Drakemoore

Strange but suddenly I remembered an old demo disc that Spiderweb used to market their games on, I don't recall the exact year but it was in the mid 90s because it had Exile 1, 2 and 3 sharewhare demos on it.

The title of the demo series was called "Games One Thousand" or something like that. It was packaged with a lot of PC games at retail centers at the time but I do not recall the publisher which packed this, or any concrete information on the disc and the contents any longer as I lost it a long time ago.

The reason I ask this is mostly because the 2 disc demo series had many classic titles, lots of shareware and very little known RPGs which I'm interested in learning about again.

If I'm thinking of the same demo disc as you are, then I think it was called "Over 1000 Games." A google search reveals that it was published by nodtronics. The info I could find about this version sounded about right, but I couldn't find a screenshot of the disc or a list of the games on it, so I'm not sure if it's the right one.

I first got hooked on Exile 3 from this disc. I was like 7 at the time and had no idea how to go about registering the game, so I would just replay the demo version over and over. Except I never figured out how to beat either of the 2 available plagues. Ah good times.

Edit: I went and asked my sister for a second opinion, and she thinks the disc was called "1001 Games." It sounds kind of familiar to me, and she has a ridiculous memory for detail, so that's probably it. But I couldn't find it on google, so I'll post more info if I can find the original disk.

Exile: Escape from the Pit came in one of those First Class style silver-folder-with-icon folders, including in old versions of Realmz. And compared to Realmz, it didn't look very good originally.

Then there was Exile II, with the KPT Bryce splash screen that I think was a requirement circa 1995.

Thanks for the info so far. I think I might have found it, though the installer is a 16-bit application. Time to see if I can get it to run properly in a vm workstation.

And yeah, I understand. I remember a lot of the titles on the discs were junk but there were a few gems among it and I wouldn't mind checking into them again, seeing if anything was continued, or if the companies just shut down.

Thankfully Spiderweb, Exile and it's successor have continued to survive.

Hmm.

Well the one I found is indeed the one I was looking for, except it's the wrong volume. Though there's no mention of a volume number it doesn't have the same selection the one I had did though a few similar titles, no Exile. But it is the same overall release.

The title is "Over 1000 Games The Complete Encyclopedia of Games" With a title logo of 2 gold spaceships orbiting each other.

No mention of any company publishing the disc anywhere in the files or the main menu of the thing though.

• 3 weeks later...