A6 - Shaman Bhagarrr

GreaterSinistral

I just can't kill this guy! He's in the tunnels near the Tower Colony, along with the Nephil Warblade and a colony of nephilim, and I really want that sword. I can kill everyone else, including Chief Bhag'Vrrr, with no problems, I've done most of the quests so far, raised my stats thoughtfully, and am playing on normal difficulty.

Whenever I hit him in melee, I receive the same amount of damage, he continually summons reasonably strong monsters, and worst of all, he rapidly regenerates, so I can't even get close to killing him, and I'm using strong equipment for this part of the game. I've tried fighting him for over an hour, and his abilities never wear off, he never stops summoning creature after creature, and I can't get him past half hp. Is there a trick to beating this guy? It doesn't seem like I'm supposed to come here way later in the game, as his cohorts are pretty weak and the sword isn't THAT amazing.

Just totally frustrating.

Some exploits that work are:

Use spells and missile attacks when a monster is spine shielded. That's why you are taking damage doing melee attacks. There was a message about him taking on the aspect of a beast.

Use charm (control foe) from spell and scroll to turn his summoned creatures against him. You don't get experience from killing the summoned creatures so make them work for you. Delicious Vlish always recommended doing this since their summoned monsters were usually better than yours.

Summon some creatures of your own to help you. At least they can take the damage instead of you.

Use potions and spells to haste your party.

I've tried using missles and bolt of fire/smite, but he regenerates too quickly. I only have level 4 mage spells (from Natural Mage trait) because I want to max my stats at the end. Is there a way to beat him without using mage spells? Am I totally reliant on scrolls, or is there another way?

Originally Posted By: GreaterSinistral
I've tried using missles and bolt of fire/smite, but he regenerates too quickly. I only have level 4 mage spells (from Natural Mage trait) because I want to max my stats at the end.

You're doing this on a first playthrough? I don't think it really counts as "optimising" if it makes your party worse for most of the game, but hey, whatever rings your boat.

What consumable items have you got? It might be time to think about using some. Speed potions are very helpful, especially if your main problem is outdamaging his regeneration. If you don't have speed potions, skribbane works too, although there are drawbacks to that.

I feel pretty comfortable being handicapped a tad with regard to mage spells on a first playthrough since I've played other Avernum games already and it's only normal difficulty. So far the only really tough challenges have been the Spectral Falcion ghost and the crypt Wight, and I've been hoarding around 75 skill points and haven't had a problem.

I have TONS of scrolls, wands, and all sorts of magical items. Haven't used a single one yet, and been finding them everywhere. So you think a few speed potions and a flurry of arrows should do it? I have no problem staying alive. He isn't one of those guys you come back way later in the game to beat, right?

Not generally, no. Then again, most people will have a fairly competent mage by this point in the game.

My suggestion for this situation is Terror. You can't use the spell, apparently, but hopefully you have at least one terror wand. Enemy casters tend to have high mental resistance, but they're not immune to mental magic like undead, constructs, and the like are. Terror is especially useful if you can hit him with it before he casts that obnoxious spines/regeneration spell. It may take a few reloads to get it to work consistently, but that doesn't seem too bad compared to an hour-long battle.

As stated above, charming his summons is very helpful, though if you can scare him enough he won't be summoning much.

Originally Posted By: Tirien
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
In an enchanted place in the bottom of the cavern a little slith and his slime monster will always be playing.
Uh... Have you been following Dikiyoba's example and eating strange mushrooms?

SoT is a professor. He can get whatever he wants and say it's for a research project. smile

Hmmm. I believe I meant to post that in the thread about the collapse of Avernum in A6 being depressing.

Strange mushrooms aren't so easy to justify for research in theoretical physics. I did just take delivery of a nice Mac Pro, though. Too bad I forgot to order a monitor for it. At the moment it's kind of a zen workstation. You can fire it up and slide the mouse around, and type. It's up to you what you want to imagine the results are.

Hmmm. I believe I meant to post that in the thread about the collapse of Avernum in A6 being depressing.

Strange mushrooms aren't so easy to justify for research in theoretical physics. I did just take delivery of a nice Mac Pro, though. Too bad I forgot to order a monitor for it. At the moment it's kind of a zen workstation. You can fire it up and slide the mouse around, and type. It's up to you what you want to imagine the results are.

just pilfer one from the system room when they're not watching, they probably have a few lying around unatached

I did just take delivery of a nice Mac Pro, though. Too bad I forgot to order a monitor for it. At the moment it's kind of a zen workstation. You can fire it up and slide the mouse around, and type. It's up to you what you want to imagine the results are.

Radio Shack shipped a 386 cpu computer without a keyboard to a friend. I remember the guy using it would call companies to ask if their products were compatible with Radio Shack computers. After they stopped laughing, they would say they never bother to test and asked to call back if their products did work with it.