Semi-Official AIMHack Campaign Announcement: The Abyss

Sarachim

Q: What is it?

An AIMHack campaign, set in the Abyss during Exile/Avernum 2. The party would consist of people who were in the Abyss at the time of the Empire's invasion and were thrown together by chance in its wake.

Q: When's it happening?

Probably mid-December. I'll be very busy until then, and I don't want to interfere with the two campaigns already in progress.

Q: Can I submit a character now?

Not a fully-statted one, no. I'm going to change some mechanical things to more closely resemble the setting, and I still have to write the adventure hook. However, if you have a general idea for a character, you can tell me about it now.

Q: So why are you posting this now, then?

To see who/how many people are interested. To hear what you'd like to see in this campaign. To invite you to ask me questions, and thus help me flesh things out. To give you ample time to bribe me to hold a spot open for you. But most of all, so I can't slack off on this later without anyone noticing.

Q: I am strongly considering that bribery thing you just mentioned. How many players are you planning to have?

Six, obviously. Exile's still my first love.

Q: You mentioned changing the rules to fit the setting. What sort of stuff do you have in mind?

Nothing earth-shattering. Take races, for instance. You can pick just about any race that makes sense in context, even normally hostile ones. They won't offer any stat bonuses, but your PC's race will have a major effect on how NPCs react to him or her. A Nephil, for instance, may have a significantly harder time dealing with Empire soldiers, but a much easier time with any Nephilim the party meets. Similarly, magic schools will probably be reorganized a bit, but it will still be possible to cast any spells that have been seen in previous campaigns.

So yeah, that's about it so far. I'm definitely going to do this if enough people with mutually-compatible schedules are into it.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Definitely an interesting idea, and something I'll be eager to watch / read it, though I expect personally I won't be interested in playing (I HIGHLY doubt we'll be done with City of Hope by then and I don't want to have to be committed to more than one campaign at once).

You're probably right about CoH. When the time gets closer, Lilith and I may decide it would be best to push Abyss back a bit. If you think playing in two campaigns is a lot, try playing in one and GMing another. tongue

I would love to play this, and I just so happen to have a prototype character that I had sitting around. wink

She required pretty heavy modification even for standard AIMhack play, and of course I'll have to scrap the backstory, but this is what I'm looking to work off of.

Click to reveal.. (Character Sheet)
Name: Nikita Tesla

Race: Dwarf

Deity: Tempecomt

Alignment: Insanity

Strength: 1

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 6

HP: 11

Artifice: 0 (+1 Racial Bonus)

Crafting: 2

Magic(Abjuration): 1

Magic(Evocation): 3

Magic(Transmutation): 2

Nature: 2

Perception: 1

Religion: 2 (+1 Racial Bonus)

Click to reveal.. (Spell Book)
Capacitance(Abjuration): Numerinus felt a tingling all over his skin, and his clothes began to cling to him. But when the enemy's blade pierced his shoulder, he could see that the discomfort was worth it.

Any enemy - or any thing, really - that the target touches receives an electrical shock.

Short(Evocation): A deep humming filled the air, and the goblin froze in place, whimpering. Then he burst into flame.

Nikita snaps her fingers, and the target almost instantly catches aflame.

Electromagnet(Evocation): Anthony felt a tugging at his weapon and armor - he tried to hold on, but he was pulled from his feet and the hammer flew from his grasp in a matter of seconds

Nikita holds one hand to her holy symbol and stretches the other towards her target. Any magnetic materials will pull and push however she commands.

Arc(Evocation): Allen shut his eyes tight against the flash of light, but he still felt the sparks from his brother next to him. When he opened his eyes, nothing but a scorch remained

Nikita stretches out a hand, and a burst of blinding light illuminates the area. One random foe is stuck by a lightning bolt.

Living Transformer(Transmutation): Dyen felt a pain, deep in his chest, as if he were burning up inside. But when he ripped off his opponent's head, he decided that it was worth it.

The target takes a hit to health for a hefty bonus to attack and damage.

Diode(Transmutation): The skeleton struck again and again at Allen, but it's blade seemed to slide right off of him. He watched amusedly as it broke it's arm trying.

Nikita touches someone, and they are either incapable of taking damage or incapable of dealing it for a short time.

Click to reveal.. (Backstory)
Nikita is quite tall for a dwarf, at five feet, and very thin for any race. People say she was once the heiress to a great and wealthy noble house, the fleet of which shipped untold riches all over Mote. Ivory from the west, silk from the north, gold and gems from the east, incredible luxuries were entrusted to their sturdy vessels, as well as vast amounts of more practical goods and dignitaries from all over the faded world. It was said that their kin were the favored of Tempecomt, as never had a single ship of theirs been lost.

But Nikita was of a more practical bent than the rest of her family. When her mother died and she inherited the Tesla shipping empire, she fired the holy men and women of Tempecomt that blessed their ships and traveled with their most valued cargo. Their representative at the headquarters - a Kingfisher of Tempecomt - cursed her and her kin to die by their living. Nikita laughed and had him imprisoned for vandalism - he had flipped her desk on the way out, after all.

When her most closely related kin - and thus the most powerful members of the company - met to confirm her as their new leader, the ships they sailed on all vanished into the depths of the oceans. Nikita, defiant, sailed out on her own great flagship in search of her missing family and business partners.

When she awoke one morning, the rotting, bloated corpses of her crew littered the deck, and a great flock of seagulls ripped at their burst entrails. A single dragonborn waited for her at the captain's wheel.

Nikita knew she had wronged a god, but knew also that it would be pointless to run.

When she approached the Sea's Own Captain, he vanished in a burst of fog, and the water around her battered ship began to boil.

A great form, scaled and tentacled, rose from the churning sea and snatched her in its hand. "Your hubris," boomed the heavens and the liquid earth, "amuses me," hissed the winds and the currents. "But this," raged the lightning and the rain, "more so," rang the untouched, unknown depths of nothingness. And lightning burst from the clear sky, and burned into the body and mind of Nikita the words of Tempecomt. And she was cast into the sea, and was swept about the oceans for many months before she washed ashore. She crawled to the nearest city and fashioned from garbage and refuse a symbol of her repentance.

A flat, rectangular piece of steel with a bar down the middle. Four thick copper wires were bolted into the base of her ears and the outer ends of her collarbone, and wrapped around the center bar, holding the amulet at the base of her neck. Now, she spends her days begging from coin to donate to the temples of Tempecomt, and bearing his Word of lightning to the world.

Right here.

You also might want to spectate some of the on-going campaigns to see the system in action.

Anyway, I'm very interested in how this turns out. But I'm curious; is the skill system going to change at all to reflect the change in setting?

That said, I may not be playing, simply because I've been in over half of the campaigns thusfar. Let someone else have that sixth slot.