G4 - Still a Lifecrafter?

Tcheedchee

Hi,

I've just reached the Aziraph rebel camp with my lifecrafter, just to state about where I am in the game.

At the moment his only "pet" is a Fyora.

The Lifecrafter has got:

Lvl 26

Int 10 (got some ripped by Mozeh)

Essence 33/280 (not refreshed, but can't have more than 90 at the highest, because his Fyora has got 190)

Shaping Skills 4 - 4 - 4

Healing Skill 7

Magical Skills 3 - 3 - 4 (battle, mental, blessing)

Magic Skill 3

Leadership 9

Mech 9

Luck 5 (gets collected if remaining skillpoints don't allow anything else)

The Fyora has:

Lvl 22

Essence used 190

Strength 19

Dex 21

Int 22

Endur 19

Now, what I'm wondering about is:

Does this Lifecrafter still resemble a lifecrafter?

Or is he more likely to resemble an agent?

He is sympathizing with the rebel-side, so he doesn't want to waste his creations, but keep them, like pets and train and treat them properly. So at the moment he's only got ONE creation. Is that within the normal range of lifecrafter-chars at the point of the game where I am?

How could I increase his intelligence more effectively, so that his essence can be increased more? Mind, I don't want to get into cheating, I don't want to get into playing so deeply. If I can't acieve it by finding or consuming items in the game, that's okay by me.

Are there any items to increase intelligence, except for the belt?

Maybe some Intelligence or Essence-canisters?

You keep on talking about chapters in your lists.

In which chapter am I? Still Chapter 1? Or 2?

How many chapters are there?

I havn't recognized the moment when they are shown, how are the chapters depicted, I seem to have missed something there.

It's much more efficient to have a lot of creations that just have +2 in Intelligence so you can control them rather than to have one creation that you pump up to absurd levels. A fyora with 190 essence invested in it will be worse and more expensive than a freshly-made wingbolt with +2 Int. If you're serious about keeping your creations alive for the whole game for roleplaying reasons, it's possible, but it'll make life hard for you -- I'd say that a reasonable set of creations for the point in the game you've reached would be something like two or three wingbolts, or maybe one wingbolt and three drayks.

Speaking of Intelligence, your lifecrafter could do with a little more of it: I like to aim for at least 20 Int by the endgame. Don't put skill points in Luck, it's sort of a waste: you're better off saving up skill points until you can afford to raise Intelligence.

Have you noticed how you have major plot missions to do and you can't get past the set of zones you're in until you've done them? Each of those sets of zones is a chapter. So Chapter 1 ends at the Cairn Gates, and Chapter 2 ends at the Barrier Zone. You've just entered Chapter 3, and there are five chapters.

Since you did Moseh, then go back and explore the rooms to the south of where he is/was. There is a gruesome charm in the southwest room that gives +2 intelligence with -1 dexterity and -1 endurance. There are a few other charms that will help with your spells coming soon like the mental focus charm for +1 spellcraft.

On your next playthrough, if you want to keep every creation you shape, make a cryoa to get you through the early sections. It'll be fragile and not hit for much, but you can keep it alive and fairly useful throughout the game without putting more essence into it. Trying to keep a fyora alive and useful is much more difficult, especially once you start running into fire-resistant drakons. You will definitely want to rely mostly on more powerful creations like wingbolts and just use the cryoa as support, though.

Dikiyoba would ignore battle shaping and just focus on fire and magic shaping. Battle shaping isn't very impressive in this game.

If you don't want to have a really difficult game, you should really let your 190-point fyora ... go free. Sit with it quietly until it attains enlightenment and becomes one with the universal essence; avert your gaze when you squoosh it so you can pretend that sound is it happily running off into the swamp, somewhere between the zones, to lead a long fulfilling life as a souped up rogue; whatever. But get your massive stack of essence back from that underpowered little lizard, learn Wingbolt, and get yourself some serious heat.

In G4 Wingbolts totally rule, and you can learn Wingbolt very early in chapter 3. Make as many Wingbolts as you can, with only enough essence invested to give them that +2 Int so you can control them. Even one single Wingbolt is well worth having, if that's all you can afford; I beat Monarch with just my Lifecrafter and a single Wingbolt, and you can, too. If you can get two, though, you'll pretty much steamroll.

And you can then keep these lightning-spitting snakebirds right through the game. Without your investing any more essence in them, they will level up with experience and be serious badasses by the end of the game. And already in Chapter 3 you will enjoy their ability to one-shot battle creations in the fens.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Since you did Moseh, then go back and explore the rooms to the south of where he is/was. There is a gruesome charm in the southwest room that gives +2 intelligence with -1 dexterity and -1 endurance. There are a few other charms that will help with your spells coming soon like the mental focus charm for +1 spellcraft.
I did the whole bunker and found the gruesome charm rigth away. I've got it in my pack. I reached and did the sea caves from there and also found out, that I'm not yet able to pass into Shaftoe's Bunker. I'm sure I don't have to mention why. EDIT:I mean I can enter it, but I don't survive long enough to look for any information…
Did I get this right? The mental focus is going to show up somewhere in the next areas, not in Moseh's Bunker? (Don't tell me where. I'll sure find it, as I'm in desperate need for intelligence and essence-upgrades.)

Originally Posted By: SOT
If you don't want to have a really difficult game, you should really let your 190-point fyora ... go free. Sit with it quietly until it attains enlightenment and becomes one with the universal essence; avert your gaze when you squoosh it so you can pretend that sound is it happily running off into the swamp, somewhere between the zones, to lead a long fulfilling life as a souped up rogue; whatever.
laugh LOL, nice one.
I already did that, but now I'm kind of confronted with loose ends. I can't do Wingbolts yet.
Did I miss the wingbolt opportunity or am I not far enough yet? EDIT: I hope it wasn't the "constainer" in Drewry's house!?! shocked
I'm at the Aziraph Rebel Camp, did the Golem's Fen, explored the Fen West of the Rebels camp, found the shapertool breader there…
Now I don't seem to know, which combinations of creations to create and how to use and amplify their abilities in the right way with the options I have. They all seem to turn out to be too weak.
I can create
Fyora/Cryoa, Roamer (sucks), Drake
Thadht, Clawbug, Battle Alpha
Vlish, Glaahk

I also tried the 'reshaped' storyline with my Fyora and shaped a Cryoa assuming, that it was some essence-style upgrading of my original Fyora, but that creation is weak.
The combination with a Battle Alpha goes down to pieces as soon as the Cryoa is gone. The Cryoa really seems to lack endurance, or it runs into the wrong adversaries all the time, but Hey, then it lacks endurance…
I switched to Drake and Glaakh, but to no avail.
And more than two creatures at this moment seems like nonsence to me, as they consume too much of my essence. If I leave them totally without essence-based training they are even much weaker. Can't see how that should work out, except for with the Wingbolts maybe… But as already mentioned, I didn't acquire that feature yet.

I have another question:
What's this about the purifying elixir? I made one, but I can't consume it. It doesn't have the sun-icon, when I equip it. I've been to the rebel camp near Turabi Gate, as well as to Dillame, I've met and talked to Uchitelli, I've visited Sandros mine and sneaked a look at the different books near the ghost, didn't find a hint. I havn't found any information about the use of Blood Poison, the Artila Eyes and the Purified Essence either. Will I still run into these informations?

I know the Shapers in the Fen can teach you how to create wingbolts, assuming you haven't made the Shapers completely hostile already.

Purifying Elixir is a crafting item. You combine it with a Shaped item (like Shaped Boots) to create a Perfected item, and then you combine the Perfected item with other reagents (such as Blood Poison) to create an artifact.

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
I also tried the 'reshaped' storyline with my Fyora and shaped a Cryoa assuming, that it was some essence-style upgrading of my original Fyora, but that creation is weak.
The combination with a Battle Alpha goes down to pieces as soon as the Cryoa is gone. The Cryoa really seems to lack endurance, or it runs into the wrong adversaries all the time, but Hey, then it lacks endurance…

Cryoas and other low-tier creations will only be useful if you create them soon after you learn how to and then keep them long enough that they level up a lot. Gaining levels doesn't effect the abilities of high-tier creations nearly as much.

Quote:
And more than two creatures at this moment seems like nonsence to me, as they consume too much of my essence. If I leave them totally without essence-based training they are even much weaker.

Shaper Monarch will be throwing lots and lots and lots of weaker creations at you. Using the a similar strategy will maker it harder for his creations to overwhelm you. Make as many drayks as you can without improving them beyond two points of intelligence and pick up some soldiers at the rebel camp. Neither set of allies will be terribly impressive, but they should be able to get the job done.

In future playthroughs, Dikiyoba recommends being nice to the Shapers in chapter 2 and 3 even if you are playing as a rebel/Trakovite. It makes things easier, and provides access to extra skills (like the wingbolt) and loot.

You need enough of a loyalist reputation combined with leadership to get a quest from Alwan to help Moseh. Even if you kill Moseh, you can then get a pass from Alwan to get you into the Western Rise zone which allows you into the Shaper Camp Gamma in the Fens for training in wingbolts.

Balancing reputation to extract maximum advantages to yourself is hard unless you are completely amoral.

You need enough of a loyalist reputation combined with leadership to get a quest from Alwan to help Moseh. Even if you kill Moseh, you can then get a pass from Alwan to get you into the Western Rise zone which allows you into the Shaper Camp Gamma in the Fens for training in wingbolts.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
In future playthroughs, Dikiyoba recommends being nice to the Shapers in chapter 2 and 3 even if you are playing as a rebel/Trakovite. It makes things easier, and provides access to extra skills (like the wingbolt) and loot.
Yeah, seems like a good idea…

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Shaper Monarch will be throwing lots and lots and lots of weaker creations at you. Using the a similar strategy will maker it harder for his creations to overwhelm you. Make as many drayks as you can without improving them beyond two points of intelligence and pick up some soldiers at the rebel camp. Neither set of allies will be terribly impressive, but they should be able to get the job done.
I just won against Monarch with my Battle Alpha and my weak Cryoa, as well as a party from the rebel camp consisting of a soldier, a baton wielder, a channeler, and two technicians. And I only lost two technicians… Who'd've thought of that!

Even before that I finished off the Rothgroth for Jared (as I had been lead to the believe, that I'd gain a control baton with the help of the Rothgroth tooth, which was wrong – naturally – but still brought forth a nice wand…) with a little help from my (rebel) friends…

I have to admit though, that I have switched to easy by now. whistle – Seems like I've always got to surrender to the game first time round, to become a better player next time. blush

Coming from Avernum to Geneforge it seems to me that although some of the control of Geneforge (4) feels a bit awkward in comparison, Geneforge offers more variable storylines than Avernum… even for non-power-gamers.
I'm really looking forward to Jeff's newest project round the bluebeard theme. I'd love to have a game, that is written as amusing and smooth to handle as Avernum and has got the variability of Geneforge. I'm not wishing for a warped sequel to the two games, Jeff shall follow his urge for a new invention. I just hope he'll be able to let himself be influenced by his experience so far in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...
Balancing reputation to extract maximum advantages to yourself is hard unless you are completely amoral.

In G4 I really liked taking the whole double agent thing seriously. I was playing both sides, and at any given point I could justify any particular betrayal as a matter of sacrificing something for the greater good I could accomplish by gaining greater trust from the other side. That would be a reasonable attitude, I think, if it were all real. It's only when you know the simple way that the scripts actually work that it has to seem like amoral powergaming.

Originally Posted By: Akharri Blaze
remember, always eventually switch to the shapers side. they will win
Yeah, seems like it… I'm in the inner labs now (where the unbound are bred) and the whole situation looks messed up for the rebels, at whatever angle one looks at it. As Trakovite the best look-out seems to be heroic sacrifice for one's beliefs…

(Akharri Blaze, I think that would have been a remark for spoiler-brakets, though.)