Do you have to pick Gladwell or the Darkside Loyalists?

MissSea

Okay, so I just finished A4 and am hip-deep in A5 (Solberg's lands, actually). I've met Gladwell and encountered Ruth. I'm wondering: is it necessary to pick any of these sides, and, more importantly, am I missing out on any good loot if I do? Strangely enough, I'm not a "can I do this on torment as a singleton"-kind of player. I'm a finisher. And I feel I may be missing something.

Oh, if possible, I've tried to be pro-Avernum independence, or at least the Empress's view ...

Thanks in advance!

MissSea smile

Originally Posted By: MissSea
Strangely enough, I'm not a "can I do this on torment as a singleton"-kind of player.
Not everyone is. The only game I'll even attempt on torment as a singleton is A1.
Quote:
I'm a finisher. And I feel I may be missing something.
If you really want to do everything in the game, you'll have to play it through at least once for each faction, plus one more time without joining anyone.

You can with careful playing postpone the decision to join the Darkside Loyalists up until the end by not killing Dervish Thomen in the Howling Depths and not attacking Ruth in Exodus and past the Vahnatai Lands. Then just before meeting Dorikas in his fortress you can save and see the two endings.

Joining Gladwell is something you have to do early otherwise his rewards aren't that helpful. You can't join Gladwell if you join the Anama.

Joining the Anama is late in the game and can be postponed too unless you want to stay in character. You can't join the Anama if you take Gladwell's geas.

Hmmm, thanks for the info. Sadly, I already attacked Ruth, so I suppose she won't be offering me another chance later on. I felt so 'involved' in A4, so the reactions in A5 are really disheartening. I'm sure that was the creator intention, but it's still a radical shift from before.

I've never been so invested in a game. Normally, I'm a melee hack-and-slash. Must be new motherhood. Makes me all ... soft. wink

don't bother

Click to reveal..
the ending is exactly the same except for a few names switched, a real downer from my point of view, because I started an entirely new game in order to see the ending and got bupkes, thank god I cheated otherwise it would have taken the same amount of time as the first run