A6 - Killing Melanchion? (spoiler)

VCH

Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Also
Click to reveal..
Leave combat mode and use return life to revive dead party members.

This is a wonderful and hilarious tactic for any late-game fight that puts out more damage than you can comfortably deal with. It's not at all efficient in terms of spell point consumption, and jumping in and out of combat mode like that causes your buffs to wear off more rapidly, but it does have its uses.

i thought it was kind of funny that, while melanchion was hostile, his worshippers weren't, so when he does the first fireblast thingy, he kills almost all of his dudes, even though they're all buffed cause of me tongue

but yeah, one wonderful spell for this situation is the third cloak, the one that protects you against the elements, and dressing for the occasion, meaning maxing out (90% is max) fire resistance with items/the resistance skill.

His melee attacks are suprisingly weak, his mom hits harder than he does wink

• 2 weeks later...

There's a slight oddity in the A4-6 engine which causes only the person you attack to become hostile for one combat round or so. Eventually the game figures it out and switches everyone. It is possible to get Melanchion to blast away all his followers in the interim, however.

I've always wondered why Jeff does not all Return Life in combat. It seems to be a logical thing to allow. Maybe something with doing party member placement...

I think we can put this in the wide category of "unfortunate side effects of free interchange between discrete walkabout and combat modes on the same map" -- something that is relatively unique to SW games. Just about every other RPG either uses different maps for combat, or has only one mode used for both combat and walkabout.

Originally Posted By: Bilgy Bow-Builder
I think we can put this in the wide category of "unfortunate side effects of free interchange between discrete walkabout and combat modes on the same map" -- something that is relatively unique to SW games. Just about every other RPG either uses different maps for combat, or has only one mode used for both combat and walkabout.

fallout

Many games that have the same mode for combat and non-combat still include some kind of check for combat. Looking for nearby hostile creatures (already used in Geneforge and A4-6!) or just putting a timer on the end of combat is relatively common.

—Alorael, who isn't sure why the party is allowed to force a return to non-combat mode at all. It's a feature that prevents hostiles unable to reach you from slowing your movement to a crawl, presumably, but Geneforge immediately drops you back into combat mode. Avernum gives you the pesky opportunity to abuse out of combat spells. Maybe those spells should also have a post-combat timer.

Originally Posted By: Reign in fog and filthy air

—Alorael, who isn't sure why the party is allowed to force a return to non-combat mode at all. It's a feature that prevents hostiles unable to reach you from slowing your movement to a crawl, presumably, but Geneforge immediately drops you back into combat mode. Avernum gives you the pesky opportunity to abuse out of combat spells. Maybe those spells should also have a post-combat timer.

The way it works now seems pretty likely to be intentional, if misguided. If Jeff wanted to prevent you from casting Return Life in the middle of a fight, he'd make it like changing armour, where you simply can't do it if there's a hostile creature in your sight range.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Serious Times Come

I think it might have something to do with the fact that you can't use stairs in combat mode. On occasion, I've used the forced non-combat mode to run away from an angry mob I didn't want to deal with.