A6 - (SPOILER) Nociduas the necromancer

Calliope

Hi everyone,

I am desperately stuck in trying to take Nociduas the necromancer down. I just can't figure any way to deal him any damage, although I have been constantly killing his summons for quite a long time, before getting killed myself...

The red shades just seem to keep reappearing over and over, whilst Nociduas doesn't seem to have a summons limit of any kind. Although I have already successfuly beaten the lich and cleared the dragon gate with my 31th level party, I really can't find the key for this tough fight...

Any help would be really appreciated

You are supposed to stand in the west protection circle and let the shades go after Nociduas. Your summoned creatures actually can do decent damage to him and eventually he will move out of his circle and get killed.

I've never really done this fight properly so I usually have a long drawn out battle.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software.

Note that there's a specific square in the circle that you have to stand on, and it isn't the exact center. It's actually one of the squares in the front center. I screwed up this battle the first time I tried because I mistakenly thought you were supposed to stand in the center of the circle. Silly me...

heh, I actually did get to the eyebeast, but it was a bug. my party was all beat up, and his summons were still around, so i ran in there to get out of combat and revive them, when they came back for my tasty rump, i had to do it again, and whoops, I went out of combat on top of the platform

i had enough time to regroup and heal etc, so it wasn't too hard. the into combat/out of combat exploit has been around since A1, back when people used it to get into motrax's horde wink

How can you keep several shades alive? I'm only ever allowed two summons at once. Also, I'm getting ripped apart early by his flame aura + swarming summons + Nociduas Hunter magic attacks. I don't want to spoil the entire fight by being walked through it entirely, but I can hardly survive past the first pop-up message about your blows rolling off Noci's shield.

EDIT: I've also hacked myself up to level 50 by now, and I'm still unable to kill the Nociduas Hunters as fast as he summons them.

I didn't even have Fireblast when I did that quest. Lighting and bows did fine for keeping the summons under control and any which did make it through to attack got chopped to pieces by the fighters. Amazing how much damage you can do when your main party is ignoring the summoner.

I don't believe you can keep your entire party outside the flame aura range, though... IIRC, the character who stands on the square that activates the shade summoning is just barely in range. But, with only one character in the blast radius, it's easy enough to keep him healed.

Hmmm... it's reasonable to deactivate the spires leading to his room. Once you've done that, you could TRY and see if your lightning attack and other magicks are powerful enough to take down the spirits he summons during the Nociduas fight. If your attacks can keep taking out his summons, then you should be fine.

I've spent 2 hours on this fight, I've tried standing on every spot I can in the Western circle, and I have yet to see any shade summons. My party has divine fire and fire strike (as well as Divine Intervention) and looking at the above posts this fight should be quite doable. I think in concept this fight could have been fun, but Jeff should have made ALL spaces in the circle as the shade activators. I don't think I would have ever even tried this fight more than 3 or 4 times without reading this thread. Short of a screenshot, can someone explain where to stand?

Thanks,

Z

Jeff should DEFINITELY have made all the squares in the circle activate, or at least the center square, but shades only appeared for me when I stood on this square (the "O"):

X X X

X X X

O X X

I would describe it as the "corner" of the 3x3 grid covered by the circle. This is the corner of the side facing Nociduas and the side facing the door you entered to start the fight.

Let me know if it helps. You may have to attack Nociduas once (with anything) to trigger the message about his shield and the spirit circle. You may also have to wait a couple rounds in that spot I indicated before your first shade appears. Hell, make sure you've killed those Circle Protectors, too.

• 4 months later...

Just taken Nociduas down - I'd tried earlier and couldn't make any headway, but this time at around level 38 it was fairly painless.

I noticed one interesting factoid during the course of the fight which I didn't see mentioned above. At one point, with shades and summons attacking him, Nociduas had strayed outside his circle for some reason, so I tried an arrow to see if his shield had disappeared.

It hadn't; I got the usual message, and he seemed to be able to keep summoning too. But the arrow was from the Bow of Decay, and while he took no damage from the hit, he DID take damage from the acid on following rounds.

Don't know whether the same goes for Acid Spray, but it's possible. He didn't seem to have a huge number of hit points, so a couple of direct damage-dealers might shorten this fight quite a bit.