Hype: Out of Breath

keira

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=656.0;at

(Could a Mod do that magic thingy? Yes.)

Just posting this here for tips and suggestions or some such.

COMPLETED

Outdoors - 100%

Towns - 15%

Plot - 15%

Scripting - 6%

Your first task as member(s) of the Avernite Engineer Association is to perform a ruitine checkup on the Saralfin Dam, normally a mundane task. What you find there is hardly so mundane...

I dunno, it's going to basically be a generic stop-bad-guy-from-destroying-dam scenario.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Engineering would be so much more awesome if "stopping bad guys from destroying the dam" was included in the job description.

Presumably, the bad guys need engineers too, and those engineers would have to job description of "destroy the dam, preferably while the good guys are standing right underneath it".

Dikiyoba.

Engineering would be so much more awesome if "stopping bad guys from destroying the dam" was included in the job description.

Have you read the ads in engineering journals?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

Presumably, the bad guys need engineers too, and those engineers would have to job description of "destroy the dam, preferably while the good guys are standing right underneath it".

Dikiyoba.

The funny thing is, I know people who have this job description, minus the second part.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Whoah. Where in Avernum is this set?
I really didn't think of where...Just some made-up locale, I guess (The only game in the series I've played for an extended period of time was the E3 demo, so I don't have much experience in geography, unless it's Upper Exile...).

I dunno...having waterfalls going across the who thing didn't make much sense, given the rather small amount of flow, but yeah, I should probably add walls there...thanks for the tip.

In related news, I am making a script to 'flood' an area by placing on object (in this case a photoshopped cube of water) on all areas of the same height. Is there a way to do this without manually typing in the coordinates of every tile (I'm thinking maybe a call to check tile height, coupled with a while/foreach loop (does BoA even have those?))

Yes, Avernumscript has a while loop construct. (foreach makes no sense in a language with no collections or range objects tongue ) Be aware, though, that iterating over most or all of a zone's spaces can put you dangerously close to the node execution limit.

Code:
//assuming variables i, j, and height exist//height is set to the height to which to floodi = 0;while(i<64){	j = 0;	while(j<64){		if(get_height(i,j) < height){			set_terrain(i,j,[number of water cube terrain]);			set_terrain(i,j,[number of water  floor]);			set_height(i,j, height);		}		j = j + 1;	}	i = i + 1;}

Originally Posted By: w-dueck
Wow, that's a rather spectacular waterfall.

I'd argue that a wall there isn't strictly necessary, but... well, it does look odd. Maybe a wall that's permanently cut-away? As in, a custom terrain with the cutaway wall icon.

Originally Posted By: w-dueck
Ooh, tricky terrain. Is it possible to get down and up without falling over a cliff? I notice there's one small area where you would be trapped if you jumped down...