Annoying AI Glitch (?)[G5]

I've been playing through as a Shaper on Torment. I've noticed that when my hordes attack evil beasties, the beastie always returns fire to whoever attacked it most recently. I guess this makes sense if they have memory problems, but it gets really annoying. When I go against a boss, the boss always attacks the last creation in my lineup unless I have it skip its turn, even if other creations have dealt significantly more damage.

I don't recall this happening in any other game. I just downloaded the 1.0.3 version (for mac) and I hope that it will be all better. Has anyone else had this problem, if it is a problem? Any suggestions?

This got added back in Avernum 4 to the AI. It doesn't always happen, but it is the usual behavior.

If you are facing a melee only attacking monster, then you can have fun watching it run back and forth after different missle attacking creations. In Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4 this meant that it never got to attack.

Thanks, I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't notice that.

Sadly, I'm not able to do that. I have 2 tralls and I'm working my way through the storm plains. The kyshakks in the abandoned farms are giving me real trouble. I can handle one at a time, but I can't daze well enough to keep multiple people from getting the lightning aura, which tanks my health.

The only way I was able to handle the kyshakks was to lure them one at a time. Send your lead creation (first in battle) to taunt one of them, with the rest of your group a considerable distance away. When the kyshakk signals readiness for battle, have the luring lead creation run back to the pack. One big ugly cow will follow. The only time I took on two at once was the pair nearest the big structure. They are easier because you can surround them (if you have enough creations).

Oh, do make sure you have the spell that cures lighning attacks before you even consider attacking them. (Sorry, it's been awhile. The name of the spell escapes me at present.)

Also, I frequently left the area to recharge and come back. It took awhile. smile

If enemies attacked the character against whom they did the most damage, or the character who had done the most damage to them over the course of the battle, or even always prioritized a reachable target and then stuck with it, the AI would be both predictable and much harder to abuse.

—Alorael, who tries not to make the poor little beasties run back and forth aimlessly until they die. He feels bad for them.

It's not improved by the fact that sometimes "poor little beasties" can include humans. Not often, actually, because most humans have spells or thorns, but sometimes. And in Avernum, of course, you can get this all the time.

—Alorael, who feels less bad for the humans. They are sapient organisms and should know better. The roamers running in circles are just dumb beasts who can't reason their way out.