Agent build?[G5]

What sort of build should I get for Agent who doesn't use creations? I was thinking of using only melee for the first part of game with aid of Strength and Endurance building until Haria-Kel, where I can get trained in magic. This would save some skill points and I need to get some Str/End at some point anyway.

How much Endurance and Strength is needed for solo character? Dexterity I would probably leave where it is, but how about Intelligence? Agent seems like the kind of character that needs to spread points to multiple attributes. My first Warrior was quite a bit easier smile

Oh yeah, magic levels! Where should I focus?

Melee is actually a pretty decent backup option for any class early on, even without investing skill points in it. I personally wouldn't bother waiting for training before raising your magic skills, though: you'll spend maybe ten thousand coins to save yourself a total of 6 skill points. Intelligence is important for spellcasters, especially later in the game: it's easy to run low on spell energy when you're throwing around Mass Madness and Purifying Aura spells every round. The right amount of Strength and Endurance depends on your play style and equipment choices: have enough Strength to wear whatever armour you want to wear at any given time, and enough Endurance to, well, not die too often.

How determined are you to not use creations? They're very useful in G5, even for an Agent; you'll have trouble with some parts of the game without them. If you're dead set on going without them, mental magic will be your most important skill: you can't survive being swarmed for long in this game, so you need to make enemies attack each other instead of you.

I mean that I won't be investing points in shaping skills. Perhaps I create some creature and rely on level-ups to get them stronger. Waiting until Haria-Kel saves 12 points to be precise. Training specific spells in Whitespires should be enough, though this will make nice little challenge.

Ah. Yeah, in that case you should be fine. Early-game creations do okay into the midgame as long as you keep them alive and level them up a bit, and once you get War Tralls they're strong enough to use right to the end of the game even with the bare minimum of shaping skill required to make them.

I ran an agent and found you can easily rely on spells for the demo. Piling up money until the first trainer really makes the game harder for you since there are lots of swarms that are easily stopped with daze and a few more points of mental magic. Save the money for the combat trainer after finding the Shadow Road.

Putting points into strength for the best armor available at any time is a great way to go. It isn't so much armor reduces damage as also strength reduces your chance of being stunned and losing an action.

Endurance depends upon how much damage you are taking at any time.

Spellcraft is the most important thing to increase since it will also help with healing craft. Mental is next for daze and charm type spells. So pick which ever one is cheaper at the time.

One thing you should keep in mind is usage of AoE (Area of Effect) spells (shocking rain, purifying rain, and acid shower). Use them sparingly; they'll get a whole swarm after you, plus they'll dedaze enemies. After running two-and-two-third Agents, I think I've managed to find a tatic that will can work around this. Once you get the Dominate spell from Stormhold (AoE spells will become accessible at this time as well), try this. When engaging a swarm, first daze the group to ensure your saftey. Charm the enemies closest to you. After that, cast and AoE. The enemies that are not under your control should go after the enemies closest to them, meaning their charmed friends. You can usually get away with casting an AoE spell about three times before they focus on you, or when the charm runs out.

The Great Archon

Whitespires were easy!

Click to reveal..

I thought that possessed Servant Mind would have given me trouble, but Essence Shield + Protection handled the swarms of monsters while Burning Spray withered its health down. I bought all skills available from trainers at Isenwood Spire and now even Mera area is breeze. Just soloed Koski's gang. My character is level 22.

Next I'll probably go take a peek at Gorash-Kel and get trained (x2) in Spellcraft. Then I can spend points to that while raising money for other skill trees. smile

Build so far

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6130/agent.jpg

Should I take Cure Affliction, Essence Infusion and Heal OR Searer and Speed for Testing Halls reward?

Oops, I got Agent's Shelter (+1) and Nimble Sandals (+2) equipped for Dexterity, so it's much higher than it should be. I didn't put any points in it. I've been reading jlsgaladriel's walkthrough and the Leadership encounters so far have been about skipping fights, requirements being in 5-7 range. I don't want to lose experience for that. Can I just leave Mechanics at 12 and let Unlock spell handle the rest? Will it work for traps and locks alike?

I messed up a bit with reputation encounters. I need rebel reputation to complete many of Shaper task, for instance Lel won't talk to me about Trakovites since I have so high Shaper reputation.

Having Leadership at 9 in Mera-Tev allows for getting experience from the leadership option and then going back and killing things for combat experience.

You didn't need to get Mechanics up to 12 so soon, but that's pretty much all you really need since items will do for traps and unlock for the rest.