Maximizing training/rewards.[G5]

First it depends upon your class.

Guardian/Warrior - Forget about getting training in most combat skills because the cost doesn't drop until after the second Rawal quest finding the Shadow Road. Doing the third quest in Stormhold really brings the cost down. It's better for the other classes since they can wait to get cheaper training.

Shaping skills are in Stormhold if you pro-Shaper and I think you need to do a quest for Alwan.

Magic skills are in Haria-Kel and the cost drops after doing the Find Gorash-Kel quest for Quothe. Best for fighter types to save skill points. Doesn't matter which side you are on.

I'm playing as an Agent, so inexpensive magic training is my priority.

I just arrived in Mera, so I havent progressed particularly far.

From a powergaming perspective, which sect do I ally myself with to reap the greatest rewards, or should I remain unalligned until I absolutely have to join a side?

It's actually not until the second half of the game that you can do anything meaningful for any of the sects: everything up until that point is basically just reputation-building. So try to keep your reputation fairly neutral until then.

It's possible to powergame all five sects, but more difficult than it was in G4. You should definitely get your reputation far enough toward the Rebel end to do Ghaldring's first two quests at some point, since you can do them without joining his faction, and they're the only way to get a second set of Crystalline Fibres for item crafting. (Plus, they're the same quests Astoria will ask you to do after you join her faction, so you can get credit for them twice.)

Other than that, the major stumbling block is the shredbug quest: some factions want them destroyed and others want them released. Don't mess with the shredbug controls until you're told to. Likewise, think carefully before doing something that will obviously annoy other factions, such as anything involving the Purity Agent. Also, you can't join Taygen after killing Platano for Rawal, so save that until after you've joined him if you want to do that.

Looks like I'm wrong and nobody wants the shredbugs destroyed. Still, leave them alone until you have to do something with them.

Here's a quest list which will probably help you work out which factional quests are mutually exclusive and how far you can go with each faction without cutting off your options.

Originally Posted By: Rainblow
Isn't the issue that some factions want them to *not* be released?

I know that Astoria gets angry and won't talk to you any more if you tell her they've been released, which is a necessary part of Litalia's quest. So if you want to pump all the rewards out of both of them, Astoria has to come first.

It is possible to receive training twice in all skills available if you don't invest any points into them before training. You must join Alwan's faction to get training in shaping skills though. You should have plenty of money to buy all this training and two levels of each spell and creation. You may have to be patient though because, as Randomizer stated, if you're a warrior it's not easy to hold off on investing in melee skills until you can purchase them from Rawal's female guardian. I did it on a servile play-through and it was tough. It's easier for a sorceress to hold off until Mera to purchase magic training.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
I wonder if you can still destroy/release the Purity Agent if you helped Taygen create it?

Most of those quests are fixed so if you do something else you either hit an autokill node, blocked from other actions, or must leave the faction.