Results for simulation of curse effect[G5]

I used the Captain's shiv (Damage: 4-16, damage multiplier = 2.5) to wail on my battle alpha. The results are as follows.

Torment, not cursed:

Average damage = 35.1

Torment, cursed:

Average damage = 19.9

Difference = 15.2

Multiplier of curse on Torment = Approx. 6

-----------------

Normal, not cursed:

Average damage = 17.2

Normal, cursed:

Average damage = 9.8

Difference = 7.4

Multiplier of curse = Approx 3.

-----------------------------

From this, we can conclude two things:

1. The documentation is wrong (again). Curse reduces attack strength by *three*, not four. This isn't just supported by damage output. When I was cursed, my accuracy decreased by 15%, not 20%. 15%/5% = 3.

2. Curse is doubly effective on Torment, which implies that damage that your PC and creations receive is doubled. So for every die of damage (or level of attack strength) you receive, double that on Torment.

Just the fact that average damage coming from *you* was doubled on Torment confirms your hypothesis quite neatly, since obviously the PC's stats don't increase.

However, cursing may actually be stronger than three levels. Battle alphas have 40% armor, thus they should be absorbing an average of 40% of the damage dealt. We would not expect an average difference (between cursed and not-cursed) to be so close to 7.5, we'd expect it to be close to 60% of 7.5.

This is what I was alluding to with my suggestion to watch out for interference from armor and other such variables. Try with a fyora -- they don't have any armor.

Quote:

However, cursing may actually be stronger than three levels. Battle alphas have 40% armor, thus they should be absorbing an average of 40% of the damage dealt.

You mean the physical damage they resist? I incorporated that into the damage dealt.

Edit: You're also forgetting that curse lowered to hit by 15%, whereas war blessing raised it by 20%. Which further supports the interpretation that curse lowers attack strength by 3, whereas war blessing increases it by 4. War blessing also increased attack output by 4 levels.

Vlish aren't bad, but the problem is that they do so little damage compared to later creations that really all they are doing for you is casting wrack. Unless it was going to take you a large number of hits to kill something in the first place, you're better off with another trall or whatever; the handful of enemies that do take 20 hits to kill you can manually wrack.

Originally Posted By: Checkmatte
Vlish aren't bad, but the problem is that they do so little damage compared to later creations that really all they are doing for you is casting wrack. Unless it was going to take you a large number of hits to kill something in the first place, you're better off with another trall or whatever; the handful of enemies that do take 20 hits to kill you can manually wrack.

Except that Vlish attacks aren't equivalent to Wrack: they curse, not weaken. You don't have a spell that curses enemies.

Would it hurt to much to have both? You could keep the vlish with you (or absorb it and recreate it after some battles), and also have a war trall and/or a wingbolt? The vlish doesn't cost to much, and some spells cost more, so you could think of it as a continuous spell; it uses a bit of essence, and it attacks and also curses. With it costing so low, you should also be able to afford a war trall/wingbolt.

The problem isn't the essence. Eventually, it's the fact that the slot would be more profitably filled with a harder-hitting creation.

—Alorael, who thinks vlish would be fine for the beginning useful in the middle. Once you have the essence to use slots for something that isn't a vlish, though, that non-vlish starts looking good. Non-lifecrafters may not have that problem depending on builds.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug

To be honest, it seems like a tremendous waste to reabsorb creations you have invested XP in leveling up.

Not if the new creation will live longer and do better damage. Some early creations are a pain to keep alive and don't do well against fear area effect attacks and other things.