Pronunciation Bee[G5]

So, here is a puzzling question or two:

What is the proper way to pronounce "thahd"? As in "thaad", eating the second H? Or bluntly "thahd"?

What is the proper way to pronounce "geneforge"? The part troubling me is "gene". Should it be pronounced "geen", as in the bihelix micromolecule contaning the code of life or "gene", as you pronounce it in the word "generations"?

You have to speak slowly to Thahds, so it's best to draw out the 'ah' as long as possible, while using big, simple hand gestures. Same with the 'ah' in Glaahk, except that with Glaahks you speak slowly so that the creature remains calm. Keep your hands still but in sight, and avoid eye contact. No matter how much your friends dare you, do not tip over an unsuspecting Glaahk and run like heck. They can get up again surprisingly fast.

The 'gene' in 'geneforge' obviously rhymes with 'green', because anything else is an abomination.

But these are too easy. For extra credit, demonstrate irrefutably that 'rotdhizon' is prounounced exactly the way it's spelt.

"Thahd" sounds more like "rod" than "dad" the way I say it.

Geneforge is clearly a simple combination of the words "gene" and "forge" and should be pronounced accordingly.

The two rots are, to me, ROT'-groth (the second syllable rhymes with broth) and ROT'-dih-zon', which rhymes with nothing that I can think of.

The real challenge is properly pronouncing drayk and drakon names.

—Alorael, who can't get the sibilants quite right. He thinks it has something to do with his lack of fangs and improperly constructed tongue.

I don't think any of this really matters because other than on this forum, I don't speak of the creations in the game with other people and I believe the same applies to most of you. Although it might matter if you talk to yourself while playing the game, which is perfectly normal.

By the way, I pronounce it geneforge as in generations

jeanforge sounds retarded although it is more correct.

I don't know why, but in my head I pronounce rotgroth as roTHgroth. Also rotdhizon sounds like rothdhizen (as in horizon) but now I'm just making me sound like a fool.

Geneforge seems to have an especially hard time with words getting butchered, but if you're going to try pronouncing something, please at least be aware of where the letters are supposed to be before moving them around in how you say the word.

Rotghroth. Rotdhizon. Ellhrah. Shaila.

—Alorael, who suspects that "Geneforge" could be a shibboleth, although not a good one because of how genes have become one of the great pop science buzzwords. If adding gene to something makes you cringe, you need to look up more biotech companies' names.

• 2 weeks later...